FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is "real-time" worth it ??

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
DC Wells
Is "real-time" worth it ??
on Feb 19, 2003 at 5:17:53 pm

I've been using DV Raptor with Adobe Premiere 6.02 for a few months now. It's all I have been exposed to. It works ok, but sometimes with long waits for rendering.

What exactly does a "real-time" system do ? What's it like to edit this way ? Is it worth the extra $$$ ??

Thanks, DC

Return to posts index

ciabt
Re: Is "real-time" worth it ??
on Feb 19, 2003 at 5:31:14 pm

Hi there
I think it depends upon how serious you are at editing. If you just edit occasionally and don't mind the wait, then don't spend the cash! But if you edit alot and need to get things done as quickly as possible then a realtime card is definatley the way to go. A realtime card is a hardware card (usually fits into a PCI slot in your computer) and works with software and does some or most of the processing of video and effects (such as Premiere transitions or titles) and plays them in realtime (no rendering). So you can see what a 1 sec dissolve will look like without rendering it. I use the Matrox RTX100 w Adobe Premiere 6.5 and love it! I can't say enough good things about this card. It allows me to play any of all the premiere standard transitions in realtime plus most titles. If the effect is too complex you will still have to render but it has really cut down the editing time for me. I used to only work on 15-45 min projects as it would take me so long to render files and get things looking the way I wanted them too. Just recently I completed my first 2 hour and 8 min project in about the same time it used to take me to create a 30 or 45 min project and only had to render a 5 sec clip once throughout my whole project. One other thing I love about the capture card is that I can preview my video on a NTSC Monitor in realtime in After Effects as well as Premiere and a few other programs. If your time is worth alot to you and you are very into editing I would heavily advise you to look into getting a realtime card. You should check out videoguys Reatime 4 review. It will give you and idea of what these cards can do! But definatley do your homework before buying one and make sure your computer is completely compatible with the card of your choice. Happy editing!
Later
Brent

Return to posts index

DC Wells
Another question about real-time
on Feb 20, 2003 at 12:24:18 pm

Thanks for the information, Brent.

But, do you still have to render when you export or print to tape ???

Thanks, DC

Return to posts index

ciabt
Re: Another question about real-time
on Feb 20, 2003 at 10:00:21 pm

Hi there DC
Nope you don't have to render when exporting to tape (as long as your effects weren't too complex for the reatime card to process, but in that event anyways you would have had to render it previously anyways. So you can use multiple effects/ multiple combinations of effects throughout the whole project and never have to render throughout the whole project, including exporting). Another thing I love with my Matrox RTX100 is that it allows you to do reatime export to DVD, so basically if a video you are encoding is 2 hours thats how long it takes. Before this card when i was encoding 2 hour projects it would take about 7-8 hours to encode. Hope this helps answer your question, if you have any others please feel free to ask. I greatly recommend that you check out the Videoguys realtime roundup: http://www.videoguys.com/RT4.html if you have not yet done so. Good luck and happy editing.
Later
Brent

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Feb 24, 2003 at 8:59:39 pm

Just wanted to let you know that I took the liberty of editing your last post by making the URL an active link. This is super easy to do on our forums. As is adding colors and other cool stuff.

When you post you will see a row of icons above the message box.
Just highlight the URL, then click on the little globe icon with the chain link.

Gary

The Electronic Mailbox 800 323-2325
We Are The Desk Top Video Editing & Production Experts

All DTV purchases come with our exclusive 30 day customer assurance program and FREE Tech Support

Return to posts index

ciabt
on Feb 24, 2003 at 10:50:32 pm

Hi Gary
Thanks for the info, I was wondering how to do that. I love this message board, it has helped me out numerous times and I try to do the same for others in return! Thanks for creating such a great site!
Later
Brent

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Feb 25, 2003 at 12:15:51 am

Brent - THANK YOU!!! As one of our most frequent posters, we really appreciate teh support!

Gary

The Electronic Mailbox 800 323-2325
We Are The Desk Top Video Editing & Production Experts

All DTV purchases come with our exclusive 30 day customer assurance program and FREE Tech Support

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]