FORUMS: list search recent posts

New built - what do you guys think?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
hansmann1
New built - what do you guys think?
on Nov 10, 2010 at 6:37:42 pm

Hi all,

Have built several systems in the past - but nothing the last 4 - 5 years. I am new to HD editing and not a pro user. This system has a dual function - for business and HD editing.

This is what I have sofar on my Newegg parts list:

Case: Cooler Master HAF932
PSU: Corsair TX950W
MOBO: Asus P6X58D-Premium
CPU: Intel i7-950
MEMORY RAM: Corsair XMS3 12GB DDR3-1600 (PC-12800) CL9 6x2 GB
VIDEO CARD: Visiontek Radeon HD 6870
SOUND CARD: ?
HDD: WD VelociRaptor 300GB
HDD: WD Caviar Green 2 TB x2 (raid setup)
PRI OPTICAL: LG BH10LS30 10X SATA (BR burner)
SEC OPTICAL: ?
HD MONITOR: Samsung 24" B2430 HD
SPEAKERS: ?

Got mouse and keyboard.

Appreciate your comments and suggestions!

hansmann1

Return to posts index

RJL0365
Re: New built - what do you guys think?
on Nov 11, 2010 at 1:49:10 am

hansmann1,

Which NLE(s) are you planning to use?

If Adobe Premiere Pro CS5, you do not want an AMD graphics card because CS5 currently supports GPU acceleration only with certain NVIDIA GPUs (in particular, a GeForce 8xxx series or higher with 896MB or more graphics RAM or a Quadro based on one of the CUDA-enabled GPUs with 1GB or more graphics RAM). The use of an AMD (formerly ATi) GPU would force software-only mode with CS5.

In addition, the WD Green hard drives are very poor choices for a video editing system, especially as a project/media drive. Those drives actually spin at only 5405 rpm, and have slow sequential transfer speeds by current standards.

Third, a RAID 0 array for everything besides the system (OS) drive is not recommended by me. You should have at least three separate hard drive volumes - one for the programs and OS, one for the project and media files, a third for the media cache, previews and output. This is because SATA is still a half-duplex interface (where data can travel in only one direction at a time) - but video editing requires simultaneous reads and writes. So, if you want even one 2-disk RAID 0 array, you should get at least four hard drives for a video editing system. If you have only three physical hard drives, I don't recommend configuring any of the three in a RAID configuration, but instead I recommend running them as three completely separate volumes. This, in turn, will require that your non-OS hard drives spin at 7200 rpm or higher (sorry, but the WD Green hard drives that you chose do not meet this criteria).

Return to posts index

hansmann1
on Nov 11, 2010 at 4:41:14 pm

Thanks RJL0365!

Appreciate your comments.

I will not use Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.

I have an older Pinnacle Studio editing package and will either upgrade to the new HD Studio or buy SONY Vegas Pro 9.

I should have mentioned it, but the 2 green Caviar's are for a RAID 1 set up for business with the VelociRaptor hosting OS and apps (incl. Video editing app).

I was thinking of setting up HD's for video editing either internal or external since I do not edit professionally (under 10 hours per month).

Sorry for not being clear about this in my 1st post.

hansmann1

Return to posts index

RJL0365
on Nov 11, 2010 at 5:25:40 pm

Unfortunately, Vegas Pro 9 is now no longer available new (though some resellers still have existing old stock of this version of Vegas Pro). It has been succeeded by the new Vegas Pro 10, which requires an NVIDIA GPU to accelerate the rendering/encoding to Sony AVC for high-definition videos. The combination of Vegas Pro 10 and an AMD GPU cannot accelerate this encoding, so the software-only encoding will take several hours for each hour of video processed even on the very fastest systems. Hence, with such software-only encoding, this will effectively limit you to MPEG-2 or AVI encodes in either HD or SD.

Second, no $100 consumer video editing program takes anywhere near full advantage of even a four-year-old system. In fact, Studio HD Ultimate is strictly 32-bit; thus, it cannot take any advantage whatsoever of more than 2GB of RAM. (Granted, Studio HD Ultimate does run on 64-bit systems, but the extra 32 bits and tons of memory would be largely wasted.) However, AVCHD does require a lot of CPU horsepower to edit with any convincing speed or quality.

If you intend to edit HD video for authoring onto Blu-ray Disc, skip the plain (base) version of Studio HD: That program does not have Blu-ray authoring capability whatsoever. It can author standard-definition content onto DVD with a simple menu or high-definition content onto an AVCHD DVD with no menus. If you want to burn onto Blu-ray Disc (BD-R or BD-RE), or if you want menus onto high-definition projects, or if you want more than one menu per project, you will have to purchase or upgrade to the Ultimate or Ultimate Collection editions of Studio HD.

Speaking of RAID, a RAID 1 setup is not recommended for a video editing system since editing performance will be no faster than with single (JBOD, or non-RAID) drives. If a RAID 1 array must be used, it should only be used for the OS/program disks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]