FORUMS: list search recent posts

Anyone had this Asus/Sata DIY7 nightmare?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
simon ellis
Anyone had this Asus/Sata DIY7 nightmare?
on Sep 6, 2010 at 12:43:34 am

hi all,

last night i shut down my system for a couple of hours and when i rebooted again i got a message saying "reboot and select proper boot device". i'd never had this before so took it as one of those crazy windows quirks that disappears as soon as it came. but it wouldn't disappear, and on further inspection, none of my three internal SATA disks are detected in the BIOS! the OS (vista business) is on a 1TB western digital caviar black, and the two remaining 1TB hitachi deskstars contain my projects.

Asus P6T Deluxe
Intel i7 2.66ghz
12gb Corsair DDR3 (6 x 2gb sticks)
XFX GTX285 GPU

this system is just over a year old and has hardly been used until spring this year. it is used solely for video editing. i am currently right in the middle of a big project and everything was fine until this sudden error (seems to be quite a common problem amongst P6T deluxe users).

the pioneer blu-ray drive is the only device listed.

i have tried out everything i can find, including stripping the machine down and rebuilding it (twice!), but i cannot get any one of the three disks to be recognised, even individually. furthermore, i'm not sure they are even spinning. but how could all three internal drives suddenly crash after a perfectly normal shutdown? i have ordered a new disk so will find out in a couple of days whether it is the disks or the board.

the only recommendation i have not managed to try is clearing the CMOS. i followed the manual's instructions to move the jumper but the date in the BIOS remains the same. i don't know how to remove the battery without forcing it.

i also got the latest BIOS using the flash utility, but still nothing. i am at my wit's end and have wasted two days on trying to solve this while deadlines weigh heavySad

can anyone shed any light on this?!?

thanks in advance,

simon

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
Re: Anyone had this Asus/Sata DIY7 nightmare?
on Sep 6, 2010 at 12:14:48 pm

This problem has nothing to do with OS. It is strictly a BIOS issue. (sounds to me)
There are boot device order settings you might need to set
Look deep into every option when you go through BIOS. It sounds like some setting has changed. Did you try disconnecting all SATA devices except for the OS HDD. Will it now boot?
Plus did you try setting your BIOS back to Default?

If that fails--Check your BIOS battery voltage. Asus is known to use very cheap batteries and when they go... they will cause BIOS issues. To the point that sometimes the MOBO won't boot up.

Return to posts index

simon ellis
on Sep 6, 2010 at 12:24:55 pm

yes i don't see it as on OS issue at all and my main concern is whether it is the board at fault or three drives dying at once. i just tried powering the drives in a friend's machine (though not as high spec as mine, it did have sata ports, does that matter?) and they don't spin. how the hell do three separate drives all die at once?? the killer is that if the drives are indeed dead, the back-ups of my projects are on one of said drives, so i will have lost the projects AND the back-ups.

it's extremely hard to keep a cool head until i can get to the bottom of this. i'm about to buy a usb enclosure to see if i can access the drives that way.

i have tried every combo i can think of in the BIOS. i have also been trying to get the OS hdd recognised without the other hdd's attached, yes. i have reset the BIOS to default several times.

how do i check the battery voltage, and how do i know if it is incorrect?

thanks for your reply,

simon

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
on Sep 6, 2010 at 12:28:39 pm

Idea Pull the battery out and check it with a voltage meter. (it looks like a very large watch battery)

Return to posts index

simon ellis
on Sep 6, 2010 at 12:32:08 pm

okay this may sound stupid but yesterday i was trying to remove the battery and couldn't work out how to without damaging it. i can't find anything in the manual. it is inserted sideways, like a coin in a slot, and is held in place by some sort of clip, but i don't know which way the clip moves to release thebattery and i don't want to force it.

regarding voltage meters, i'm afraid i'm clueless about that stuff. i guess i could take it in somewhere local, or perhaps just buy a new battery and put that in, regardless?

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
on Sep 6, 2010 at 1:03:04 pm

Oh dear lord. Laughing Laughing What man doesn't own a voltage meter Very Happy Very Happy

push the metal thingy back so the battery will slip/pop up. Idea tiny screw driver will help in this process.

Voltage is listed on the battery. test it. go to radio shack or a similar place. new battery should be around $2. (dollar store might carry a battery like this) test the new battery before installing--- if you bought yourself a cheap voltage meter.

Disclaimer: I don't guarantee this is your fix, just trying to rule out the battery being below acceptable voltage.

Did you verify all the power supply cables are connected and in solid?

Return to posts index

simon ellis
on Sep 6, 2010 at 1:13:10 pm

UPDATE:

"What man doesn't own a voltmeter": An Englishman, hehe.

I have just tried connecting a friend's SATA HDD and it was recognised in the BIOS immediately, so i guess this means that for some unknown reason, all three of my internal drives (one western digital with the OS on, and two hitachi deskstars with my projects on) have failed!!

i can't get any of them to even spin, so i don't know how to begin going about recovery of my data. i have searched high and low on forums and found some lucky people who have managed to replace the HDD's circuit board with an identical one from an identical drive and retrieved their data. this is all very last resort though and it also means finding a replacement drive with identical firmware, which won't be easy, if not impossible.

how the hell can three drives go down at once? Sad

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
on Sep 6, 2010 at 6:45:17 pm

power supply isn't working correctly... maybe it surged the drives with voltage? not sure.

do you own an external case to plug the drives into.. to see if that works?

Return to posts index

simon ellis
on Sep 6, 2010 at 7:43:02 pm

yes i've tried the drives externally but i get nothing. i may have successfully located an identical drive with the same model, and firmware, so i might have to try and replace the disk's circuit board.

the power supply is a decent corsair, the one recommended in diy7. i suspect a power surge, as the electricity has tended to be a bit on-and-off in my area of late, though i am running through surge protection (for what that's worth). still, three drives completely dead? it's insane.

Return to posts index

RJL0365
on Oct 22, 2010 at 5:39:06 pm

Killayuz: yes i've tried the drives externally but i get nothing. i may have successfully located an identical drive with the same model, and firmware, so i might have to try and replace the disk's circuit board.

the power supply is a decent corsair, the one recommended in diy7. i suspect a power surge, as the electricity has tended to be a bit on-and-off in my area of late, though i am running through surge protection (for what that's worth). still, three drives completely dead? it's insane.

Sorry to break the news, but NEVER rely on a cheap surge protector strip for any PC. These cheapies have an extremely short useful life - less than two years. And they often allow the voltages to fluctuate extremely wildly. A UPS (battery backup) will usually have much better surge protection than any surge protector strip.

Return to posts index

simon ellis
on Oct 23, 2010 at 6:16:05 pm

yes i always suspected their effectiveness was limited, though i never knew it decreased over time. interesting. what is a UPS?

incidentally, the three drives did all die and i have yet to submit them for data recovery while i reinstalled on a new drive and started afresh. the plastic in between the holes on one the plug sockets has what looks like a softly melted area, about the size of a thumb print. no signs of discolouring from heat though. i don't know if that means anything.

what baffles me is that whatever happened did so while the computer was shut down.

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
on Oct 23, 2010 at 7:42:49 pm

Don't know what a UPS is---- google---> UPS battery backup.

Every computer I own is on a UPS. Everyone should have their computer (and external drives) attached to the battery section of a UPS.

Return to posts index

RJL0365
on Oct 24, 2010 at 4:27:24 pm

Killayuz: the plastic in between the holes on one the plug sockets has what looks like a softly melted area, about the size of a thumb print. no signs of discolouring from heat though. i don't know if that means anything.

That's one of the signs that the "surge protection" strip that you were using is either really cheap or of very poor quality in comparison with other surge protector strips.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]