FORUMS: list search recent posts

Strange events with DIY 7-8 build

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Brame
Strange events with DIY 7-8 build
on Sep 5, 2010 at 4:26:28 pm

I was going to build a DIY 7, but started to read the DIY 8 Sneak Peak and decided to head that way. Here's what I bought...

Asus P6X58D Premium
Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz
2 - Corsair Dominator 6 GB PC3-12800 1600MHz Triple Channel Core i7 DDR3 memory (12GB total)
nVidia Quadro 4000
2 - WD Velociraptor 600GB 10K
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

I had bought several other things, like 4 WD Black Caviar 500GB drives for a RAID, a Matrox MX02, but my issue began before these were added to the mix.

I might add that I have built well over 100 PC's in my time, so this ain't my first rodeo.

I attached only ONE of the WD VelociRaptors to one of the SATA6 ports as my system drive. I was going to add the 2nd VelociRaptor later as my auxilliary drive for pagefile, video previews, etc., but usually will wait until the system is up and running well.

So - I set everything up, began installing Windows 7, which seemed to go well. After installation, I would start installing drivers, first for the motherboard components, then the Quadro. I would ALWAYS set a System Restore point just prior to each driver install, and restart after each. At any given driver install, at restart Windows would not restart, and force into System Repair. I would let System Repair make an attempt, but it never was able to. I'd try to get into Safe Mode, but it wouldn't start into that either. I'd try to do a System Restore from the F8 screen, but it claimed that it could not locate any restore points.

Since I had bought my Quadro 4000 off eBay (although it was new and sealed in original package as far as I could tell), I first suspected it. I took a FX 3700 out of another machine and swapped it for the 4000. Got the same results. So, put the 4000 back in, and tried a multitude of other things I could think of, including using the other Velociraptor as the boot drive and reinstalled Windows 7 so many times that when I got to the serial number part I could type it in from memory!!! GEEEZ!!!

At times on reboot Scandisk would detect disk errors and attempt repair. This led me to believe that it was a drive issue, but swapping out VelociRaptors hadn't changed anything. So, I tried a WD 500GB Caviar drive as the boot drive on the same SATA6 port, and voila - all is well. I have Windows 7 installed, updated, and CS5 installed, updated and running quite smoothly.

Evidently, something about my setup doesn't like the VelociRaptor as a boot drive, although I do have one set up as my Aux drive with the pagefile and such. I'll by another Caviar 500GB today to build my RAID with, since I stole one for the boot drive.

So far the system smokes. Render times are cut in half -or better. Encode times too. And I haven't even done all of the recommended system tweaks yet.

Not sure how much performance I'll be losing due to the boot drive being a 7200 rather than a 10K, but I'm still happy. And I know my Windows 7 serial number by heart...which may not be a bad thing.

If anyone has any ideas why this happened, please send them my way.

Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
Re: Strange events with DIY 7-8 build
on Sep 6, 2010 at 12:26:10 pm

The latest and greatest doesn't always make for a wise choice to have a stable system.

Updating MOBO BIOS might help with the SATA issue (it sounds like the problem) or updating the HDD firmware might help. I would only purchase a 6Gb/s drive if it was a SSD.

Did you do some Google searching for similar issues?

Which SATA ports are you using???? I stick to the Intel ones. (I have 8 SATA ports... 6 Intel and 2 Gigabyte) My gigabyte ports are flaky.

Hope it helps

Return to posts index

Steve Brame
on Sep 6, 2010 at 1:20:01 pm

Sorry...forgot to mention that the first thing I usually do is update the BIOS to the latest version, and I did update the drive's firmware, or at least attempted to, but it reported that it had the latest FW already.

I'm still cooking very well with the WD Caviar boot drive on the Marvell 6GB port (although it's reverted to 3GB, of course). I've got my 4 drive RAID5 on the Intel SATA ports, and the Velociraptor on the 2nd Marvell 6GB port which also seems to be doing well.

It just seems that there is something going on that prevents using a VelociRaptor 10K drive as a boot disk. I'm hoping to hear about VideoGuys' DIY 8 experience with the VelociRaptor as a boot disk, which I used for this system's specs.

Return to posts index

RJL0365
on Sep 9, 2010 at 3:08:29 pm

sebrame: Sorry...forgot to mention that the first thing I usually do is update the BIOS to the latest version, and I did update the drive's firmware, or at least attempted to, but it reported that it had the latest FW already.

I'm still cooking very well with the WD Caviar boot drive on the Marvell 6GB port (although it's reverted to 3GB, of course). I've got my 4 drive RAID5 on the Intel SATA ports, and the Velociraptor on the 2nd Marvell 6GB port which also seems to be doing well.

It just seems that there is something going on that prevents using a VelociRaptor 10K drive as a boot disk. I'm hoping to hear about VideoGuys' DIY 8 experience with the VelociRaptor as a boot disk, which I used for this system's specs.

I'd hate to break this news, but that DIY 7.7 system build used an Asus motherboard that did not have SATA 6 Gbps or USB 3.0 support. In fact, the only support for internal SATA devices on that motherboard came from the six SATA ports associated with the Intel ICH10R. Hence, that DIY build has its boot drive connected to the SATA 0 port of the Intel controller.

As for the P6X58D Premium, I'm sure the Videoguys are still working out the compatibility kinks. After all, this update is still in progress.

Return to posts index

piloti1
WDC6000
on Feb 11, 2011 at 10:19:28 pm

I share your experience with the 6.0 raptor on the boot drive. Actually, I have 3 operationg as a C, D and E drive with the first 2 plugged into the the SATA6 ports as Sata 0 and Sata 1, on the ASUS P6X58D Premium. They both revert to 3.0 gb/s speed on startup. According to WDC compatibility chart, ASUS is not listed and it seems the WDC6000's are compatible with a RocketRaid controller card. Bummer.

Den

sebrame: Sorry...forgot to mention that the first thing I usually do is update the BIOS to the latest version, and I did update the drive's firmware, or at least attempted to, but it reported that it had the latest FW already.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]