FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to get analog (eg, from VCR) to rendor better on HD TVs?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kurteuler
How to get analog (eg, from VCR) to rendor better on HD TVs?
on Aug 20, 2010 at 7:22:50 pm

Can anyone advise as to how to get HD TVs to render analog signals, such as those from a standard VHS tape VCR, as clearly as the old analog tube televisions?

Recently I lugged my VCR into a Best Buy and tried viewing a tape on several flat screen HD TVs. I was disappointed in the picture in all cases. (The video was blurry and choppy.) Is there any device that will convert the the analog signal into a quality (if not HD) digital signal so that old VHS tapes can be enjoyed on the new TVs? My lack of a solution to this issue is the major barrier for me in getting an HDTV.

Note: Some might suggest getting a DVR to make recordings going forward. However, I don't want the monthly fee of Tivo (I get my signal over-the-air), or the high price of a purchased DVR like Monolith. In addition, I've not been impressed by reviews of recordable DVD-based solutions.

Thanks in advance!

-Kurt Euler
San Jose, CA

Return to posts index

RJL0365
Re: How to get analog (eg, from VCR) to rendor better on HD TVs?
on Dec 5, 2010 at 12:45:22 am

Both the HDTV set and the analog VHS format are to blame, in this case. There is no way that you can get a viewable image from such ultra-low-resolution sources on high-resolution screens because the effective difference between the two is too great for the set's upscaler to handle. You see, standard VHS has an extremely low effective horizontal resolution of 240 to 250 TV lines per picture height compared to the 700 to 1,000 TV lines per picture height of HDTV screens. Nothing can fix the extremely poor detail of such analog tapes.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]