FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trouble with a computer build

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Howard Lane
Trouble with a computer build
on Aug 16, 2010 at 10:53:27 pm

Hello, I am using Studio 12 Ultimate. I originally bought Studio 8 from you guys years ago and have just kept upgrading (now I'm holding out for more video tracks) javascript:emoticon('Laughing ')

javascript:emoticon('Crying or Very sad ') A little over a year ago I purchased the parts to build a computer to use for video editing. I am not a trained tech but know enough to assemble parts. I am a missionary working with Native American youth. We need this computer to edit & produce video for the community.

Anyway, part of my build was an Intel DP45SG Motherboard. The computer has been unstable since the beginning and often it has shut down and rebooted for no apparent reason. After that it will not boot correctly with an error message saying, "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: windowssystem32configsystem You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM. Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

This seems to happen every couple months, I have researched the problem on the internet and it seems to be the opinion of most people that the problem lies in the mother board. Even on Intel's forum there are many complaints about the DP45SG. I've only read about one person seems to have had some luck getting the board to stabilize, she claims that she removed 2 of the 4 sticks of memory she had and everything worked better after that.

Bottom line is that I'm just tired of having to mess with this computer & reload windows & other software. The youth continue to loose projects because of the computer crashes. However our finances just don't allow for buying a new computer. We really need a good editing computer that is reliable.

So my question is: Can anyone out there suggest the best motherboard for me to purchase that will be compatible with the components I have on this one, and will work well for video editing? I am thinking of upgrading my windows to Win7 64 bit if the components I have will handle it. Please I need someone's advise that knows what they're doing. My current computer build is as follows:

Operating System - Windows XP Pro SP3
Video Editing Software - Pinnacle 12 Ultimate
Chassis - Chieftec Full Tower ATX
Power Supply - Ultra X3 800W PSU QUAD
Motherboard - Intel DP45SG MB
Processor - Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83 12M socket 775
Memory - Corsair XMS3 DHX 1024MB PC10600 x4 (actually dual 2048 sets)
Hard Drive - 500GB 7200RPM 3G SATA II Hard Drive x3
Optical Drive - Sony DRU-V200S 20X SATA DVD
Storage Controller - Integrated Storage Controller
Video - EVGA GEFORCE 9600GT 1GB PCI
Network - INT GBIT NETWORK ADAPTER
Audio - IntelĀ® High Definition Audio

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
Re: Trouble with a computer build
on Sep 4, 2010 at 7:34:13 pm

Never buy an Intel motherboard--- Period.

Videoguys like to use Asus boards. I like Gigabyte boards. I have had success with MSI boards.

Just go find a motherboard from one of the above mentioned manufactures and is compatible with your CPU and RAM. You will have to install the MOBO drivers before everything will work properly. I suggest wiping the drive and doing a clean install.

where to purchase? a good starting point is-- http://www.newegg.com they have lots of reviews from owners of it.

Return to posts index

RJL0365
Re: Trouble with a computer build
on Oct 15, 2010 at 8:49:02 pm

The problem with Intel-brand motherboards is that they are extremely picky as to which memory modules are compatible. (For example, Intel strongly recommends DDR3 memory modules rated at exactly 1.5V on its DDR3 motherboards - but your DHX DDR3 kits are likely rated at 1.65V or even 1.8V.) And even if you do use compatible modules, it is much less reliable with more than one DIMM per channel than most other brands of motherboards in large part because it is one of the few brands of motherboards today that still use mostly old-type capacitors (with few, if any, solid capacitors). And if you bought two separate dual-module kits, you might have gotten one kit that's slightly different from the other kit.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]