FORUMS: list search recent posts

Curious anyone tried this optimization ?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David LaBorde
Curious anyone tried this optimization ?
on Feb 6, 2003 at 7:43:42 pm

As most should know by now I have investigated means and TWEAKS to optimize Windows for video editing. I have tested various TWEAK programs and found many items in these actually hinder editing performance, I therefore,settled to doing optimizations manually (hence the TWEAK documents I have published). A couple of months ago I began testing a different kind of utility. The program is made by Dachshund Software. I have not had time to do a lot of intensive editing (< 1 hour a “pop”, etc.) but have testing it with the RT.X100 and Premiere 6.02. It is somewhat hard to quantify Premiere performance improvements but so far I have found it to be a little more responsive and will render faster (haven’t done extensive timing / quantifying of renders yet). Premiere has never crashed while using it. I do not play PC games outside of Links 2003. I have definitely seen a faster response in Links, rendering and again no lock-ups, etc.

The program is a re-written kernel that can go up to 88-but verses the standard 32 bit in Windows. It essentially acts as part of the Windows kernel. It does this by triple-buffering all I/O data. If some programs will not function well at 88-bit you can se to 64-bit. It also has a pre-fetch cache that works better than WinXP’s and acts like a 3rd level cache. It also has CPU tasking to provide optimum CPU power for the opened program. It also accelerates 2D & 3D. It improves and accelerate graphic display it has copyrighted technology works with any graphic card. It also has a memdoubler feature but I have resisted using this. It has a WinOptimize section that helps optimize / clean registry ( I have used this). As far as the multimedia / graphics and CPU part the more powerful your system the more improvement – kind of the reverse of most optimization utilities.

The program is called Hare 1.51. It is at : http://www.dachshundsoftware.com and the Standard edition is $24 & Pro edition is $32 (Pro allows one upgrade and tech support). The program can be turned off at anytime. I am in no way connected with Dachshund and was more curious if any one else has tried this. Normally I am skeptical of memory and speed enhancing programs but so far very impressed – anyone else have an experience with this ???? For sure you use this at your own risk and I am sure companies like Matrox, Canopus or Pinnacle can not endorse this nor has time to test it. It is easily turned off and you can always make a Ghost copy of your system drive before installing, etc. In past months I have not had to revert to the Ghost – so far so good. I’ve been using it on my laptop since Nov. Maybe some of you heavy power users and experimenters have had a shot at this. Anyway some info if someone is interested and I would be interested in anyones experience.
David LaBorde

Return to posts index

ciabt
Re: Curious anyone tried this optimization ?
on Feb 7, 2003 at 6:29:46 am

Hi there
Wow, sounds too good to be true! I will definatley keep an eye on this post. Till then I'll have to fight off the urge to buy it:) Thanks for the info though, I'm gonna check it out myself as well:)
Later
Brent

Return to posts index

David LaBorde
on Feb 7, 2003 at 10:58:35 am

Brent,

I always figure most of these type things are too good to be true but I still try a few. I'm just not sure how much improvement this one actually is and and don't have a lot of time right now to do extensive test - that is why I am posting to see if others have tried. Right now I at least see no harm. Also beleive you can try it for free - short duration, 1 or two weeks can't remember.

David

Return to posts index

ciabt
on Feb 7, 2003 at 5:28:36 pm

Hi there
Just went to the site and downloaded the trial version, says it will work for 20 times. I'm gonna try using it a bit and see what happens. Thanks for the info dmlaborde!
Later
Brent

Return to posts index

ciabt
on Feb 7, 2003 at 8:09:05 pm

Hi there
I downloaded it and have been running to program for about 2 hours now and I really can see a big difference in responsiveness. I haven't tried editing yet but my programs, especially 3d games load much much faster now. Have you tried any more of that companies products? I'm curious to test out some of them now. Anyways I'm gonna go try some editing now. Take care and thanks for the great link.
Later
Brent

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]