FORUMS: list search recent posts

RAM Not Showing Up

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cdoyal
RAM Not Showing Up
on Jun 30, 2010 at 11:31:29 am

I'm workind with my new DIY 7 and sometimes 6gb shows up and sometimes 4gb show up. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
Re: RAM Not Showing Up
on Jul 4, 2010 at 12:34:04 am

not showing in??? MOBO BIOS? or Windows? if windows which version?

try reseating the sticks in the slots (just a thought)

What size RAM sticks?

you can go to http://www.belarc.com and download their free program that can read which stick isn't showing up. (nifty little program)
other programs like Glary utilities (also free can give you similar info)

Return to posts index

cdoyal
on Jul 4, 2010 at 8:32:16 pm

LeeAVP: not showing in??? MOBO BIOS? or Windows? if windows which version?

try reseating the sticks in the slots (just a thought)

What size RAM sticks?

you can go to http://www.belarc.com and download their free program that can read which stick isn't showing up. (nifty little program)
other programs like Glary utilities (also free can give you similar info)

6gb shows up in the bios and CPUZ but not in Windows 7. Tried reseating but no luck. Right now I have them in 1,3, and 5. I wonder what would happen if I tried 2,4, and 6? Each stick is 2gb.
Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
on Jul 4, 2010 at 11:08:59 pm

Try updating BIOS of MOBO (even though I don't think that is the problem but often BIOS updates improve RAM compatibility.)
Once you do that. Download a memory tester like memtest86 from http://www.memtest86.com/ (also freeware)
and see what your results are.

Plus be sure to update the drivers for the items on the MOBO (which also shouldn't affect RAM count)

I hate to say this-- but you might see if there are any updates for windows 7 that mentions memory or RAM. (do a manual/custom scan and just select the items that might be of help to you)

Personal side note:
Since my NLE doesn't do Internet searching or e-mail, I don't update my Windows unless I have a problem. 98% of the critical updates are for security flaws/ holes that make you vulnerable when connected to the internet. Since my NLE stays off the grid, I see no need to bog down Win7 with security patches.

Return to posts index

cdoyal
on Jul 5, 2010 at 12:25:33 am

LeeAVP: Try updating BIOS of MOBO (even though I don't think that is the problem but often BIOS updates improve RAM compatibility.)
Once you do that. Download a memory tester like memtest86 from http://www.memtest86.com/ (also freeware)
and see what your results are.

Plus be sure to update the drivers for the items on the MOBO (which also shouldn't affect RAM count)

I hate to say this-- but you might see if there are any updates for windows 7 that mentions memory or RAM. (do a manual/custom scan and just select the items that might be of help to you)

Personal side note:
Since my NLE doesn't do Internet searching or e-mail, I don't update my Windows unless I have a problem. 98% of the critical updates are for security flaws/ holes that make you vulnerable when connected to the internet. Since my NLE stays off the grid, I see no need to bog down Win7 with security patches.

The bios is fairly up to date - February, I think. Windows 7 is up to date. Memtest didn't show any problems. My un-educated guess says it's a Windows issue. At one point, all six gb were showing up but then they didn't. I'm not sure what I changed to make the 2gb disappear.

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
on Jul 5, 2010 at 1:19:35 am

Can you duplicate/create the problem?
when the RAM disappears, has belarc been able to see all the sticks?

have you tried defraging RAM? (to see if you'll get an error)

Maybe Jcschild has a better ideas

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
on Jul 5, 2010 at 8:10:24 pm

A thought.. do you go into 32bit mode? I am not familiar with it, but if it replicates XP, it might not see more than 4GB while in 32bit mode.

just a thought.

Return to posts index

cdoyal
on Jul 5, 2010 at 8:49:49 pm

LeeAVP: Can you duplicate/create the problem?
when the RAM disappears, has belarc been able to see all the sticks?

have you tried defraging RAM? (to see if you'll get an error)

Maybe Jcschild has a better ideas

I ran Belarc and it showed slot one empty. When I switched the sticks in one and three, three shows empty. Pretty safe to assume one stick is defective?

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
on Jul 5, 2010 at 11:10:11 pm

Nifty little audit program, huh???
Yeah I would think it is worth an exchange.
I am surprised Memtest didn't find it as a problem. Although that runs in DOS and not Windows.

Return to posts index

cdoyal
on Jul 5, 2010 at 11:22:06 pm

LeeAVP: Nifty little audit program, huh???
Yeah I would think it is worth an exchange.
I am surprised Memtest didn't find it as a problem. Although that runs in DOS and not Windows.

Very cool program.
Now I have to fight with Newegg. Naturally, they want all three sticks back before they ship new ones. Since I need my system every day, I can't do that. I just want a single replacement - not all three.
Grrr....
Chris

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
on Jul 5, 2010 at 11:43:40 pm

newegg is great place to buy.
maybe you can buy 3 sticks locally with a generous return policy.
or buy three more from Newegg and exchange the bad ones and end up with 12GB

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]