6 GB RAM
i7 920 Processor
3 TB external storage
ATI HD 4890 display card (1 GB ram)
Corsair 750 W power supply
Windows 7 professional

ADOBE Production Suite CS 4.02
MATROX X.2 Updated for Windows 7

The windows 7 OS is adequate and does not have Vista issues. The overall new system for CS4 64 bit is less of a performer from the previous DIY using the ASUS P5 DELUXE which was a fantastic editing system. Matrox integrated OK and projects established using the card seem to use it. However, all projects (even when rendered and saved) require rendering again when opened. Takes a long time to render and all effects even titles require rendering when added. Never had this with CS3. Will not export to Encore...crashes every time. The only way is to export media separately and import into an Encore project. Encore CS4crashes every time when attempting a burn whether bluray or standard. Extremely slow build even for a 30 minute project. Never had a successful burn. It is worse than any editing system I have ever used. Perhaps I’m missing something key and if so, any advice is welcome as I have $2,000+ invested in the upgrade alone. If CS3 works for you, leave it alone. The upgrade is not worth the headaches. It is pure hype from Adobe. Stay tuned: I am open minded and may publish a retraction if I can ever figure this out.

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: New CS4 editing System
on Mar 15, 2010 at 12:51:54 am

I'm using a Dell Studio XPS system with i7-920, 12 GB RAM, 2-1TB HD (one for OS, one for video), and an ATI 4850 with CS4 and Cineform Neoscene. When editing HDV, I do get color bars above my timelines, because Premiere doesn't know whether it needs to render or not. I ignore them, because it doesn't for my projects using the Neoscene plugin.

I found with CS4 that I had to change my process flow. Encore CS4 works better, if you create a project there and import the timelines from Premiere. I don't transcode on export from Premiere anymore. After I author a Blu-Ray project, I let Encore do the transcoding with Adobe Media Encoder and burn the disc. Transcoding is faster than realtime with this hardware setup (without an X2). I then let Encore build a DVD of the same project without changing a thing.

I still have my RT.X100 system, but haven't used it since I bought the i7-920 one. I studied the performance benchmarks of the Core i7 before deciding how to upgrade. I can happily report that the Core i7 truly allows faster than realtime transcoding of HDV. I've also learned that you're better off keeping the same video attributes throughout the editing and authoring process, i.e. I keep my HDV as 1440x1080x60i throughout and set AME to MPEG2. My Blu-Ray player can handle it just as well as H.264. Converting to 1920x1080 H.264 just took too long without any perceived benefit.

Return to posts index

mdwalker86
New CS4 editing System
on Mar 15, 2010 at 3:05:54 pm

Thanks for the information. It makes a lot of sense and I will give it a try. I may even rethink the use of my MATROX RTX.2.

Mike

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: New CS4 editing System
on Mar 16, 2010 at 5:21:32 am

I found that I had pixel shifting problems with HDV using the native HDV support in CS4. Once I installed and used Cineform, my video quality issues went away. You can read about and download a trial version at http://www.cineform.com/neoscene/

If you find you like it, you can buy a copy from Videoguys.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]