FORUMS: list search recent posts

Laptop for NLE???

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ChrisFMA
Laptop for NLE???
on Mar 11, 2010 at 2:47:15 pm

I have a nice desktop system that I use for my editing. Now I'm thinking about how nice it would be to be able to take projects on the road and work on them while I'm out of town traveling on business, etc. I'm thinking if I use the same external hard drive for projects and media I might be able to do this. However I don't think a laptop would be strong enough to render and produce the project, for that I would like to "dock" the laptop to my workstation or simply save the project and plug the external drive back into the workstation to complete the project. I use AVID Liquid. Is this a possibility? Are there any major considerations other than good brand, tons of memory, high mem graphics, firewire port and high end processor?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Alex Cantu
Re: Laptop for NLE???
on Mar 18, 2010 at 12:28:49 am

Hi

I think a laptop is fine for rough cuts as long as you keep all media files on an external disk.
Look for a laptop with the best radeon card you can afford, Liquid works fine with this cards IIRC. But for a mobile workstation i´d rather use Sony Vegas or Grass Valley´s Edius.

Also it should have a dual core core cpu, but if you are a heavy after effects user a quad core/ corei7 is the way to go, also consider win7 64 bit + 4 GB of ram. Finally look for eSATA ports/drives instead of USB/1394, this way you keep the 1394 port for capture.

BTW the way, I asume you work HDV files, DV is far less demanding, unless you work with DVCPro50 or SD uncompressed.

Feel free to ask, if you need anything more specific.

Cheers!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]