FORUMS: list search recent posts

Storage question

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peterbilt
Storage question
on Feb 28, 2010 at 8:57:51 pm

Before I build my next machine, I have a couple questions.

What is the difference between using G-Tech Raid and internal drives stripped together using the motherboards Raid capabilities? Using the internal drives seems to be the cheaper way to go.

The 4T G-Tech is Raid 0+1 with 4 1T drives, correct?

On my last computer, I took you advice and did a boot drive separate from the Raid video drives. But I also put a bunch of music and pictures on the boot drive and it filled up. Reading videoguys’ DIY7 article discouraged filling the boot drive. My question is, should I put my personal picture/music collection on another drive altogether? So I would have a boot drive, picture/music drive, and video drives.

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Jcschild
Re: Storage question
on Mar 1, 2010 at 3:34:26 pm

internal raid will perform better and cost less.

ideally you need a minimum of 3 drives

OS
Capture/work/scratch what ever you want to call it
final Render to

the last 2 can be raid arrays and depending on your format it would be best.
DV/HDV ingested thru firewire does not need raid.

Scott
ADK

Return to posts index

Peterbilt
on Mar 1, 2010 at 5:57:00 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I'm still not sure where to put my misc. How about this?

.5T (Boot)
2T Raid 0 (Capture / work)
1T (Final render / Misc=pics, music, docs)

See any problems there?

Return to posts index

Jcschild
on Mar 3, 2010 at 8:51:09 pm

that will work!

Return to posts index

Schnitt
on May 3, 2010 at 7:12:55 pm

Can you configure the Raid 0 within windows if you can't get the MB to configure it??

I am runing Windows 7 64 bit, and I know I can set up the drives in windows as a srtriped Raid 0 drive. Would this be as fast??

Curtis

Return to posts index

Jcschild
on May 6, 2010 at 2:18:08 pm

no software raid is a really bad idea
i dont think any newer motherboard cant do raid 0.

Scott
ADK

Return to posts index

Schnitt
on May 7, 2010 at 7:49:41 pm

Jcschild: no software raid is a really bad idea
i dont think any newer motherboard cant do raid 0.

Scott
ADK

Well, I already set it up as a Software raid, however, I think I am going to invest in the G Tech 4GB raid external for video that Videoguys sell.

I will use the Software RAID 0 for audio or compiling the DVD's etc. I guess I could go back in and try to configure it RAID 0 on the MB. Maybe I'll give that a shot. I am not sure if I have to Un Stripe that drive in windows first? Then set up hte MB raid? Or if I am gettign the G Tech if it would be even worth all the effort to do all that.

Thoughts?

Curtis

Return to posts index

Jcschild
on May 8, 2010 at 2:39:49 pm

any internal raid will work better (or as good) than gtech or other such cheap external devices.
until you get a raid card and something like Sonnet, external is never faster

software raid requires CPU overhead and adds a layer to the OS thats un-needed not to mention a high fail rate.

you should not fill any drive past 65% it slows down dramatically past that.

most motherboards allow a minimum of 2 sets raid 0, the manual should be very clear on how to accomplish this.

Scott
ADK

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
on May 22, 2010 at 12:32:04 am

G tech is coming out with a new external raid called G Speed Q (June) and it will have an internal hardware raid with an eSATA port.

I just bought a non-Gtech RAID box to load up with 3 2TB drives (will equal 4TB in RAID 5)
I will see how it works out sometime next week when the HDDs show up.
(total cost around $680)

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
on May 26, 2010 at 2:31:49 pm

Well my box is up an running. I set it up as two 1.8TB drives so I have no boot-up issues as a 4TB single drive might have.

I just transfered 17GB in about 4 minutes and it ranged between 63-67Mbps Very Happy

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
on Jun 13, 2010 at 8:54:04 pm

LeeAVP: Well my box is up an running. I set it up as two 1.8TB drives so I have no boot-up issues as a 4TB single drive might have.

I just transfered 17GB in about 4 minutes and it ranged between 63-67Mbps Very Happy

update box is down: Laughing Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Lost my MBR and everything on it. I could do a recovery but can live without doing it. Sad too, earlier in the day I transfer 300gb of stuff and average around 89-120Mbps Cool I think MS write-cache did me in.

Looks like I will try one more time (and disable MS w-c) and if doesn't work I will try a DS4600.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]