FORUMS: list search recent posts

Orphaned Liquid 7 Owner needs help

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
proton32176
Orphaned Liquid 7 Owner needs help
on Jan 8, 2010 at 2:52:39 am

As many of you probably know- Liquid is now an end of life product which has put many of its loyal users out in the cold.
Since I have bought all my Video Editing products from Videoguys since the year 2000 I thought I would come here for advice.

I like Liquid in that it has all the effects and transitions built into the same product which saves the hassle of having to move out of one program and then into another( I am thinking of Premier and After Effects).

What I want is something similar or more powerful than Liquid 7 but is a “Newer Model” which does not have the compatibility issues Liquid now has ( it will no longer export DIVX) and will utilize my Core I7 processor more effectively ( it is painfully slow since it doesn’t seem to take advantage of my multiprocessor CPU).

I am a hobbyist - not a Professional but within reason price is not that big of an issue as long as it will continue to function over a reasonable amount of time.

I am using a Canopus ADVC-300 capture box so Camera compatibility is not an issue with me. Neither is High-Def or Blu-Ray although I realize that is probably pretty standard now.

What I want is the same sophisticated effects ( they are sophisticated to me) as Liquid 7 or more built into the same package. If you are familiar with Liquid and Hollywood FX you probably know what I am talking about. I really like the “old Film Effects”, Hollywood FX, and a lot of the other “Eye Candy” Liquid makes available. In addition, Liquids ability to keyframe just about every effect available has proven to be one of my most used features in making interesting videos.

Also, ( and this may sound stupid but as I said I am not in the business) something that has a capture Window built into it as Liquid does. That may sound ridiculous but I have downloaded all the info I could find on Avid Media Composer and I never could find any real reference to a capture window in it. It may have one but I could not find any mention of it and am not willing to start buying software repeatedly until I find what I am looking for.

From what advice I have received so far the consensus is that Grass Valley EDIUS v5 is the most appropriate choice for my purposes.

Any advice you guys can give would be greatly appreciated. None of this stuff is cheap especially when you start factoring in both the software and the Training DVD’s I will probably need to buy to learn how to use it. I would rather buy the right thing up front and learn it rather than spend a bunch of money and be half way through the expensive training DVD and learn I bought the wrong thing.

Finally- I would rather buy from Videoguys so please confine your recommendations to products they have available.

Thanks

My Computer:

Operating System: WinXP Home

ASUS P6T LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz

CORSAIR XMS3 3GB (3 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

POWERCOLOR X1950PRO512MBAC Radeon X1950PRO 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16

Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000HLFS 300GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA

Two- Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB

CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 Power Supply

Return to posts index

Alex Cantu
Re: Orphaned Liquid 7 Owner needs help
on Jan 11, 2010 at 6:07:42 pm

Hi

If you liked Canopus products, you should try Edius. That's its NLE... maybe you don't need the Pro version, and Edius Neo2 is enough for you (i've only worked with the pro and IMO it's a very complete solution).

It can handle SD and HD in the same proyect/timeline all in RT and can export to disc directly from the timeline (so you wont miss that feature from liquid).

There are some hardware options for analog and HDMI I/O, but u can capture DV/HDV with the mobo's firewire port.

There's a trial version

http://www.grassvalley.com/products/professional

Guess that's pretty much it... feel free to ask

Cheers!

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
Re: Orphaned Liquid 7 Owner needs help
on Jan 16, 2010 at 10:28:26 pm

Great advice. For our Liquid users looking to migrate to a new NLE that supprots todays technolog, our top recommendations are Edius and Vegas Pro. For AVCHD editing the new dius Neo 2 w/ booster for just $199 is a great replacement. Epecially when you realize you can bundle it with theHD Spark for HDMI output of your timeline and the BDR-205 for blu-ray burning

from our 2009 Top 10 products article:

Grass Valley EDIUS Neo 2 with AVCHD Booster Option
Let's face it, not everyone who buys a new AVCHD camcorder is a professional video producer or independent filmmaker, most of us are just folks who want to shoot in HD and deliver the same great video quality in our final production. While low cost video editing programs say they can edit AVCHD footage, the reality is that it's simply not worth the effort. Anything more than cuts-only editing will bog down even the fastest computer, until now.

Grass Valley EDIUS Neo 2 with AVCHD Booster allows you to edit up to 3 streams of AVCHD footage in real-time for under $200! You'll need a fast computer like our DIY7 build to achieve that many layers in real-time, but that's a pretty darn affordable AVCHD editing solution. That's right, EDIUS Neo 2 w/ Booster not only handles AVCHD footage, it allows you to do such effects as picture-in-picture, 3D transitions and applying filters in real-time! For those of you who've been around this business for a while, the fact that Grass Valley was the first to accomplish this task should not really come as a surprise. Back in the early days of DV, Canopus (now part of Grass Valley) lead the way in performance and stability. Now those same great engineers have delivered the first real-time native AVCHD solution. But it gets even better...

You can buy EDIUS Neo 2 with AVCHD Booster for $199.95 or get it bundled with Grass Valley's own HD Spark hardware for $499. This allows you to output your video directly from the timeline via HDMI. For under $500 this is a killer bundle. Neo 2 also supports Blu-ray authoring directly form the timeline, and we are bundling it together with the Pioneer BDR-205 Blu-ray burner for under $500. The best bundle of all includes both the HD Spark hardware and Blu-ray burner for just $699!! We are hopeful that by this NAB Grass Valley will announce the Booster for the full version of EDIUS 5 for editors requiring even more professional features.

Gary

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]