FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hyperthreading or not?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Intelli32
Hyperthreading or not?
on Dec 17, 2009 at 6:22:31 pm

I am planning a new build and I am unsure if I shall go with the i5 750 2.66GHz, or i5 860 which has hyperthreading. Do you have any idea about how much HT helps when editing and rendering video? And is it worth the extra money?

I mean, isn't 4 stronger cores equal to 8 weaker or am I missing something here? Since you would be utilizing pretty much everything of your CPU capacity while rendering it seems the same for me.

Return to posts index

Jcschild
Re: Hyperthreading or not?
on Dec 18, 2009 at 3:41:08 pm

1) do the X58 chipset not the P55
2) HT on always yes 8 cores is better than 4
particularly for Adobe.

Scott
ADK

Return to posts index

RJL0365
Re: Hyperthreading or not?
on Oct 30, 2010 at 6:54:36 pm

Actually, what the LGA 1156/P55 platform is short on is the number of available PCI-e x4 or higher-bandwidth slots (on many such motherboards). You see, neither currently avaliable hardware RAID controller cards nor even the GTX 480 graphics card takes full advantage of anything faster than a PCI-e x4 slot. But some P55 motherboards have only one full-length PCI-e slot, which precludes the installation of a RAID card. Current hardware SATA RAID controllers are limited in total bandwidth to only 1 GB/s for all drives combined (and that can easily fit within the total bandwidth of a PCI-e 1.0 x4 slot).

Thus, if an LGA 1156/P55 platform is to be selected for any serious video editing system, be sure that the motherboard that the user chooses is equipped with two full-length PCI-e 2.0 slots that can both run at x8 bandwidth when both slots are occupied. That way, future hardware RAID controllers will not be bottlenecked by the 1 GB/s limitation of the PCI-e 1.0 x4 slot.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]