FORUMS: list search recent posts

RAID 0 or RAID 5 - pleeease help!

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
simon ellis
RAID 0 or RAID 5 - pleeease help!
on Dec 5, 2009 at 2:04:07 pm

hi everyone,

my head is fit to explode on researching which way to go with my raid array. i built my diy7 machine a while ago now and struggled to edit full uncompressed HD because i was still using my old external drives.

in a previous post i was advised that a two-disk raid 0 probably wouldn't be good enough for uncompressed, and that i should go for a four-disk raid 5 instead. so i've consulted my mobo manual over and over, and browsed many forums,

my question is, if i go for the raid 5, why do i need 4 drives (as opposed to, say, 3) and most importantly, is the controller on my asus p6t deluxe mobo sufficient or would i need to invest in a separate raid controller card?

the drives i am considering are western digital wd100 1TB (same as i'm using for my system drive, incidentally) but i wouldn't even know where to start with a raid controller card as i've never set up raid before.

specific advice on this would be MUCH appreciated as my new system has been sitting incomplete for too long now Sad

thanks!

simon

Return to posts index

waltwooton
Beware WD1001FALS for RAID
on Dec 8, 2009 at 4:53:41 pm

There appear to be problems using the latest revision of the WD1001FALS in a RAID. See

http://bit.ly/8ukfYO

or search Google on WD1001FALS RAID TLER for more.

Walt

Return to posts index

Jcschild
Re: RAID 0 or RAID 5 - pleeease help!
on Dec 12, 2009 at 4:18:13 pm

Raid 0 is faster but offers no data protection (redundancy)
raid 5 requires 3 drives and offers protection.
you can use the onboard raid for raid 0, a dedicated raid card is better (Intel, Areca)
most onboard allow for raid 5 as well but most are not that good at it.

full uncompressed really needs 4 drives in raid 0 or better yet a Sonnet raid array.

add to that, you really should have 2 sets of raid drives
1 for capture/work
1 for final render output.
(sonnet 8 drive raid wont need this)

Scott
ADK

Return to posts index

simon ellis
Re: RAID 0 or RAID 5 - pleeease help!
on Jan 20, 2010 at 11:52:07 am

hey thanks for the info. i just found it by browsing the forum and for some reason i wasn't notified about a response to this one.

i have plumped for two 1TB hitachi internal drives (the ones recommended in the DIY7 recipe) to try out a raid 0. depending on how it goes i will expand it to 4 drives but my main aim is to ultimately go for a raid5 external setup when i can afford it (and probably when usb 3.0 becomes standard).

thanks Very Happy

simon

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]