FORUMS: list search recent posts

preview monitor

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
simon ellis
preview monitor
on Aug 29, 2009 at 2:52:49 pm

hi all,

okay this is a stupid question perhaps, but i can't work out how to get a full resolution preview on my standalone hd monitor from the premiere pro timeline. i am currently coming out of the second port on the graphics card via hdmi but the preview on the hd monitor isn't full resolution.

can anybody help??

thankn in advance!

simon

Return to posts index

Alex Cantu
Re: preview monitor
on Sep 10, 2009 at 4:05:30 pm

Hi

That HDMI port is not meant to be used a video preview for NLE, waht you need is an output device.

Do you work on mac or pc?

Return to posts index

simon ellis
on Sep 10, 2009 at 7:09:20 pm

i work on a pc. on the diy7 machine, in fact. i am now using a blackmagic intensity pro car for previewing. it is working fine, except i'm now having trouble with stuttering playback when editing fully uncompressed 1920x1080 footage. i've no idea if this is normal with a pc of this power (i7 920 2.6g, asus p6t mobo, 12gb ram, gtx 285 gpu, vista 64)...? teh data came uncompressed from elsewhere (ie: it wasn't captured in my machine via a codec).

cheers!

simon

Return to posts index

Jcschild
on Sep 15, 2009 at 9:45:41 pm

its your drive raid arrays. they are not fast enough.

Scott
ADK

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Sep 16, 2009 at 3:20:26 pm

I agree, it's probably your storage. Uncompressed HD files are huge and very taxing to playback smoothly.

Gary

Return to posts index

simon ellis
on Sep 17, 2009 at 10:15:58 pm

thanks both, i'm sure you are right. especially when the drive is the one thing i still haven't purchased and i'm still using my ancient maxtor one-touch! it still stutters if i try dumping files on the c drive and playing them, but i guess that's not a sensible test either...?

i will be investing in a g-tech 4tb just as soon as i can get the money together, although when i do, i'll have a whole new headache trying to learn about raid!

oh the joys of technology Smile

simon

Return to posts index

simon ellis
on Sep 17, 2009 at 10:17:31 pm

by the way, i also just found out that the footage i speak of came from a mac using the pro res codec. does that make any difference though...?

Return to posts index

Jcschild
on Sep 21, 2009 at 3:24:03 pm

Killayuz: thanks both, i'm sure you are right. especially when the drive is the one thing i still haven't purchased and i'm still using my ancient maxtor one-touch! it still stutters if i try dumping files on the c drive and playing them, but i guess that's not a sensible test either...?

i will be investing in a g-tech 4tb just as soon as i can get the money together, although when i do, i'll have a whole new headache trying to learn about raid!

oh the joys of technology Smile

simon

why not do internal raid? if i was doing external it would be Sonnet.
if you end up with the gtech you need to do esata frankly if its uncompressed footage it wont be fast enough. depends on the format really

Scott
ADK

Return to posts index

Jcschild
on Sep 21, 2009 at 3:25:40 pm

Killayuz: by the way, i also just found out that the footage i speak of came from a mac using the pro res codec. does that make any difference though...?

depends on how it was saved and delivered to you.

Return to posts index

simon ellis
on Sep 21, 2009 at 7:15:15 pm

internal raid? i wouldn't know where to start! what drives would you recommend? i guess if i knew that much then i could find out how to configure the raid by browsing the forums.

i didn't know that would be an option. my knowledge is so poor Sad

simon

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
on Sep 22, 2009 at 1:32:50 am

your owners manual to your MOB will tell you how to setup a RAID 0.

assuming you have room in your case and the open ports for your HDDs. It should be fairly easy.

if you go with an external setup, as others mentioned eSATA is much better than firewire (400). I think uncompressed people use fiber or firewire 800.

disclaimer: I don't work with uncompressed footage so its a guess.

Return to posts index

simon ellis
on Sep 22, 2009 at 10:37:38 am

interesting. i have the antec case as recommended in DIY7 so there are plenty of available drive bays. it seems that an internal set-up would be significantly more affordable than external, unless i am looking at the wrong kind of drives. my c drive is the 1TB western digital, as also recommended in the DIY7 recipe - would it be okay to get four of these (for example) and set up raid 0 with those?

thanks for all your help on this, it is MUCH appreciated Smile

simon

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
on Sep 22, 2009 at 2:25:47 pm

your 1gb C drive has to be left alone. i.e. not to be used as part of your RAID
let me break this down differently.
C drive is exclusively for OS and programs meaning no footage.

lets say you make a RAID and it is called E Drive.
E drive is for all footage and media. You can put as many drives to be part of your RAID as you desire but it can not be part of C drive. I think I saw a 1.5gb for $100 at newegg. 2gb drives are out there, as an option too.

side note: RAID 5 is a configuration used by people that have 3 drives. it allows you the speed of RAID 0 and the safety net if one drive goes bad, so you don't loose your footage.

Return to posts index

simon ellis
on Sep 22, 2009 at 4:06:50 pm

hi lee,

it's okay, i wouldn't include the c drive for anything other than the OS, i simply wondered if the make/model that i am currently using for the c drive would be good enough to buy for the raid.

someone recommended that i should do raid 5 for the very reason you said (backup) so i shall look into that. i am a little wary of putting three more drives inside the machine, just for heat reasons, but the case has plenty of fans and there are enough bays to keep the drives apart a little.

cheers for your help! i will probably come back when i get around to buying and have trouble configuring things Confused

simon

Return to posts index

Jcschild
on Sep 22, 2009 at 9:38:01 pm

a 2 drive raid 0 internally is probably not enough
i donty normally link to my site but it has some decent info on HDD speed needed

http://www.adkvideoediting.com/adobe.cfm

bottom of the page

internal raid 2 drive is about 150Meg/s now (100 with single drive)
ok for alot of formats but not all.
ideally for uncompressed you want a 4 drive array.
raid 5 is great BUT i only recommend it on a good controller card
also it can cause a performance hit so shoot higher than you need
the Gtech esata in raid 0 might be as fast than internal 2 drive (assuming you have a good esata card.

remember there is a big difference from "burst" speeds and sustained raid speeds.

Scott
ADK

Return to posts index

simon ellis
on Oct 24, 2009 at 12:32:45 pm

okay guys, so i am thinking of purchasing four of these internal drives:

http://www.scan.co.uk/Search.aspx?q=Western+Digital+WD1001FALS

and setting them up as raid 5. my motherboard is the asus p6t deluxe - do i need to buy a separate controller or is everything i need onboard? i am brand new to raid and need as much advice as i can get!

many thanks in advance Smile

simon

Return to posts index

winddomino
on Dec 18, 2009 at 6:48:17 am

I agree, it's probably your storage. Uncompressed HD files are huge and very taxing to playback smoothly.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]