FORUMS: list search recent posts

first build RAID 0 workstation-configuration ok?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
elijah levine
first build RAID 0 workstation-configuration ok?
on Jul 22, 2009 at 4:13:29 am

I am having my first build put together, and have had to update my configuration a bit.

I now propose the following:

*Mobo: Gigabyte EP45 (DS3L ? DS3R?)

*CPU: Q8200 (to replace the Q6600)

*chipset: Intel P45/LGA 775 socket

*memory: 2G DDR2 800 (N=2)

*hard disk: Western Digital 640G sata 2 (N=2)

*graphics card: ATI Radeon 4850 512m

*PSU: 400W

*1394 adaptor for Firewire

I would like to know:

i) comments/thoughts on this configuration as a "mid-level" digital video workstation?

ii) how to decide from the 20-24 Gigbyte EP series mobo models? I have read some reviews, and these two seem to be at the lower and cheaper end of the series, and wonder if they're suitable?

iii) if the 1394 adaptor is necessary or is the firewire connection found in the mobo?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Alex Cantu
Re: first build RAID 0 workstation-configuration ok?
on Jul 22, 2009 at 5:01:08 pm

Hi

Well... IMO, switching from a Q6600 to a Q8200 has little or no gain in perfomarce (it has lower clock IRC), yet it runs cooler. 2GB of RAM is not really that much... what OS do you have in mind?

The mobo looks fine, I think it became cheapper when the 1366 mobos appeared. And its 1394 conector is fine for capture. It is and standard son getting an extra card is useless unles you want to use external drives.

Also a 500 PSW might be better... check the requirements for the radeon card.

If you are on a budget and you are going to edit DV only, the system is fine, but could be a little weak for HDV or After Effects.

Return to posts index

elijah levine
on Jul 22, 2009 at 11:11:49 pm

Chipocludo:
Well... IMO, switching from a Q6600 to a Q8200 has little or no gain in perfomarce (it has lower clock IRC), yet it runs cooler. 2GB of RAM is not really that much... what OS do you have in mind?

Sorry, not very clear as I have written it. That is 4GB RAM (N= 2 x 2GB).
Planned OS is XP Pro 32-bit.

Chipocludo:
The mobo looks fine, I think it became cheapper when the 1366 mobos appeared. And its 1394 conector is fine for capture. It is and standard son getting an extra card is useless unless you want to use external drives.

I am not clear what you mean by the sentence "It is...external drives"?

Any particular model number from the EP 45 series that you would care to recommend, or comments on either the DS3L or DS3R?

Chipocludo:
If you are on a budget and you are going to edit DV only, the system is fine, but could be a little weak for HDV or After Effects.

I am seeking a rig that can edit DV/HDV/SD/HD/ACVHD, or is as "flexible" as possible. Though, I am on a budget. Given this, what could you recommend?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Alex Cantu
on Jul 23, 2009 at 5:39:16 pm

Hi again

I quit on XP about a year ago, Vista x64 SP1 is actually a very good OS (despite all the bad publicity it got earlier, though i don't recomend Vista 32). I have two sysmtems, one running with 4 GB, and the other one with 8 GB!!!

Even of you have 4GB about 1.5 will be unused. On a 64 bit OS, up to 4gb of ram can be adressed to single app!
You should give it a try... or wait for windows 7 (it's basically vista sp2).

IMO the upgrade you want to do is minimal... is not worth the investment, since is not long term. My advise is to save some more money and put it on a Core i7.

On the other hand, extra ram and switching to a 64bit OS would be a cheaper upgrade until you save enough for an i7.

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
on Aug 12, 2009 at 2:47:08 pm

I agree with Chipocludo. wait to build up enough money for the i7 system. and install win7 when it comes out. (aka vista v.2) Microsoft is talking Oct 22nd release.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]