FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recommendations for DVD burner?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
billc
Recommendations for DVD burner?
on Jun 11, 2009 at 9:16:05 pm

I've been having trouble with DVD burners with short lifetimes. (Some of this is repeated from another thread, alas, but has a misleading thread title.)

My Dell computer came with a burner, but I found that DVDs were not playable on some of my players. I found that even Taiyo Udens were coming out badly (I use CDspeed to test; I have a blue-ray player that'll take just about anything, one picky DVD player and one pretty-tolerant DVD player, and the CDspeed ratings are a good predictor of what the picky player will accept.)

So I got a new Lite-on SHW-160P6S, which worked pretty well. (Scores of 95 on CDspeed.) Although I noticed that I could burn one good DVD, and if I immediately burned another, it would be bad. So I had to let the burner "rest" between burnings.

However, the Lite-on now won't burn a good DVD. The best score I could get was 40. So now I'm back to looking for a reliable burner with a bit more durability. (I only burned around 30 or 40 DVDs on this!)

Return to posts index

Matt Gray
Re: Recommendations for DVD burner?
on Jun 12, 2009 at 4:02:49 am

Billc,

Good Lord. I don't think I've had a problem with a burner in the last 10 years. The rig I've been using up until very recently has had a Sony DRU800 and a Phillips burner..I've probably burned a couple thousand DVDs on them and never one problem.

But let's talk about you--what are the specs of your computer? (CPU, RAM, etc)

Return to posts index

billc
followup info
on Jun 12, 2009 at 6:10:35 pm

I'm running a Pentium (R) D, at 2.6 GHz. 1 Gig of RAM. 250 Gig disk. Running XP. I never have trouble with the buffering, etc. I suspect that the laser is just out of alignment. (Some contributers have noted that players and burners sometimes just "get tired".)

-Bill

Return to posts index

Matt Gray
on Jun 12, 2009 at 8:02:05 pm

Well, I'm not a "tech head" or anything, but I've never heard of DVD drives getting "tired". Hell, there have been times that I've had to run my burner 48 hours straight to meet a deadline and never had one coaster.

If I were you, I'd try adding more RAM. And if your hard drive is filled up, maybe going bigger. I would think that if you've had trouble with multiple dvd drives, the problem is not the drives but rather the limitations of your PC.

Just my thoughts.

Return to posts index

billc
I Don't Think so...
on Jun 12, 2009 at 11:26:20 pm

I've got plenty of disk, and the buffer usage in burning is just fine. And I was burning just fine until recently. Your results are great, though. If you're using a blue-ray burner, that might be why. They are built to much finer tolerances for obvious reasons.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions.

-Bill

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
on Jul 8, 2009 at 12:56:25 pm

Pioneer historically has produced some great burners (terrible readers though) if you get one... be sure to update the firmware.
I have been using Pioneer and sony/nec Optiarc with good luck.

I think cdfreaks.com is a good place to learn about burners.
(warning though-- they tend to be pushing burners to the very limit which I am sure you won't so don't jump on a specific model because it can burn a dvd disk at 24x speeds successfully.) just look for a burner with good results on the type of media (-r, +r, etc.) you plan to use.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]