FORUMS: list search recent posts

Question about SDI - Video / Audio

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
pneffkell
Question about SDI - Video / Audio
on May 26, 2009 at 6:50:43 pm

I just picked up a blackmagic design Decklink pro HD. I have two questions

1. Can i monitor HD from component out? if not I assume I have to do SDI to DVI-D

2. I want to do audio editing in 5.1 -
- I went out and got the Claro Halo audio card with 5.1 individual audio out.
- I see that the HDLink Pro has 5.1 audio out as well
I am new to SDI so this may be a really stupid question but does SDI pass both audio and video the way HDMI does? If so, woudl the HDlink pro basically do the same thing the Claro halo was purchased to do?

Thanks
Patrick

Return to posts index

Jcschild
Re: Question about SDI - Video / Audio
on May 28, 2009 at 3:16:31 pm

want not quite sure on this myself so i asked one of my support guys.
here is the answer

Well it sounds like he also bought the HD Link Pro as well so he has analog off of the HD Pro card. That card is HD SDI or SDI only unless you get the HD Link Pro with it. So yes he could monitor component if he wanted to though not sure why he would want to. Also yes the SDI stream carries 8 channels of AES/EBU so he could monitor surround sound through the SDI if he wanted to. He would need to monitor the audio off the HD Link Pro which De-embeds the audio.

never heard of the claro so i googled it. looks like a consumer grade card not a pro audio interface. more like home theatre stuff...

you would need aes/ebu gear for monitoring.

Scott
ADK

Return to posts index

pneffkell
thanks
on May 29, 2009 at 12:57:42 pm

Thanks for the information. I want to replace the claro with something more proffessional. What would be a good card for a 5.1 setup? I just purchased a pair of M-Audio BX8A monitors would m-audio delta 1010 be a good controller to use?

Return to posts index

Jcschild
on May 29, 2009 at 2:17:01 pm

sheesh should of called me before buying those BX. (could have saved you money on the Decklink as well...)

kinda muddy sounding KRK would have been better.

ok to do what you want with the AES on the MB card you need something like the Lynx Aurora 8 (about $1700)

and you need more than the BX you need 6 speakers to do a surround set up.
as to the pro audio card i wouldnt use a PCI/PCIe if you can help it with an NLE system.
i would do firewire like Echo Audiofire 8, RME fireface, M-Audio Profire series (not the older series)

Scott
ADK

Return to posts index

pneffkell
on May 29, 2009 at 2:31:45 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I actually sold that card. It just was not working for what I wanted to do plus I got a killer deal on a matrox RT.X2 card. I wanted to purchase something that would allow me to grow into the 5.1 editing. My plan was to add additional speakers as I grow. Got a killer deal on the BX8as (400 shipped). Just curious why the PCI adapters are not good? The Delta 1010 seems cost effective (200 second hand). I am running a big workstation. Just thirsty for understanding. If firewire is the way to go what would you suggest for a cost effective audio interface that I can grow from 2 channel to 5.1.

Again thanks for the input.

Return to posts index

Jcschild
on May 29, 2009 at 7:09:34 pm

in a NLE is generally

1) Capture card
2) Raid card
3) Video card
4) Firewire add on card (even if TI onboard mobo)

adding yet another internal card can cause issues.
plus there is no benefit to a PCI card over firewire (until you get past say 24 tracks record/playback at once)

i already listed some good firewire cards.

Scott
ADK

Return to posts index

pneffkell
on Jun 3, 2009 at 2:40:24 pm

Thanks this has been a ton of help. getting my RT.X2 card today and I am headed out to look at audio controllers.

Thanks
Patrick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]