FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rescaling a DAW for NLE with Vegas Pro 8, CS3 apps

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
optofonik
Rescaling a DAW for NLE with Vegas Pro 8, CS3 apps
on Apr 22, 2009 at 10:53:10 pm

I have a home built computer for digital audio recording that I want to utilize as an NLE. I'll be swapping each tweaked installation of XP Pro 32bit using removable drives instead of multi-booting. The specs are as follows:

MoBo - MSI K9A2 PLATINUM 790FX AM2+

CPU - AMD|PHENOM 9750 2.4G AM2 65N

Memory - M2Gx2|GSK F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK

OS Drives - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200KSRTL 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s (3 drives, each installed in a Kingwin KF-91-BK removable rack with independent XP Pro installs tweaked specifically for audio, video editing, or photo editing)

Storage Drives - Seagate HD 500G|ST 7K 16M SATA2 ST3500630AS (three drives: one for audio recordings, one for photos, another for audio samples, and finally, a 750G Seagate drive for video which will prabably end up in a removable rack. Any drive not utilized during a given task is used for "scratch drive"/temp files and/or virtual memory)

Graphics card - VGA ATI 100-505182 FireGL V3350

Monitors - ACER|LCD 19" 5MS DVI X193W+BD (a pair for dual monitoring the timeline)

DVDwr - ASUS|DRW-2014L1T LS SAT

DVD rom - SONY NEC|DDU1615/B2s BK

Card reader - ROSEWILL RC-500 CRADBUS

I feel like the only upgrade needed would be a second FireGL V3350 and a third LCD monitor (Narrowed down to the Acer X233Hbid Black 23" 5ms HDMI Full 1080P Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 40000:1 or the LGW2053TQ-PF Black 20" 2ms GTG 16:9 Widescreen LCD Monitor w/ HDCP Support 300 cd/m2 50000:1, either sells for the same price at Newegg) for viewing full-screen playback of the timeline. I can't afford even a prosumer monitor right now so I have to go wth a consumer monitor and double check everything on a consumer SDTV (CRT) through my camcorder's firewire port. I'll be using Sony Vegas Pro 8 and Adobe CS3 apps for editing. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mick

Return to posts index

Jcschild
Re: Rescaling a DAW for NLE with Vegas Pro 8, CS3 apps
on Apr 24, 2009 at 3:21:52 pm

skip any ATI get an nVidia.
the nvidia has Cuda and Adobe will use it
an nvidia 285 even a 260 would be better than the ati series.
Vegas on the other hand it not very driven by a GPU but multiple layers/effects will be helped by the GPU.

as for monitors samsung, Viewsonic will have better color than the Acers.

lastly you should have 2 video drives 1 for work capture the other as a final out put render to drive

lastly there is abslolutely no reason to have 2 OS drives.
the same tweaks for pro audio work for video.
if it was a use like 1 is for family get on the internet and install stuff they shouldnt vs pro use then yes.

Scott
ADK

Return to posts index

optofonik
DAW vs NLE tweaks
on Apr 25, 2009 at 10:54:05 pm

I've wondered about the tweaks before and in the process of implementing the NLE ones they do seem similar with only a few additions for NLE that I've never done for a DAW in the past. I'd have to look at my list to single any out. So, it seems you're of the opinion that CS3 Premier, Photoshop, After Effects, Vegas 8.0, Nuendo, Cubase, Wavelab, Sound Forge, etc. will all work on the same OS without any conflicting optimization requirements or registry wackiness. I guess I'm coming from a background where the SOP is to design separate computers dedicated to a particular task (in this case changing the OS hard drive effectively boots a "new computer design"). However, it makes sense that all the visual graphic apps would play together nicely if installed on the same OS.

As far as the GPU I understand, according to ATI, that the FireGL V3350 has been certified by Adobe for use with Premier. I assume that means that Premier takes advantage of GPU acceleration on the card. I also understand that if I want a third monitor (to view full screen playback from the timeline) I need to purchase an identical card to avoid problems. Remember, the specs above exist in the current box and I want to optimize what I already have with additions as needed so I would rather purchase an additional V3350 then get rid of the one I have and buy two new ones for the same purpose. In addition, my camera has a throughput that will allow me to output an image to my CRT TV - certainly not optimal with no chroma or gamma adjustments but I'm wondering if that and a third LCD calibrated with Huey will be the equivalent of listening to music mixes in the studio and in the car.

I don't need the latest greatest, just functional and not frustratingly slow, although, I do want very much to understand what the compromises are that I'm making.

Thanks for the tips.

Return to posts index

Alex Cantu
on Apr 28, 2009 at 4:18:51 pm

Instead of second card this matrox upgrade might be useful:

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/th2go/

It allows to set up a 3 monitor desktop no matter what video card you have (but i supose u get perfomance with a better card).

A few years ago i worked with a parhelia card + 3 monitors and loved it... it is outdated now and no longer recomended, but this seems to be a good replacement.

Return to posts index

Jcschild
on May 1, 2009 at 7:04:57 pm

Opto,
sorry for the delay man i dont check this forum daily.
why are you not posting on the NUendo or Cubase forums...

again ATI does not use Cuda and is no where the abiity of the nvidia i mentioned.

as far as 3rd moniter thats easy its call Decklink! get a decklink Intensity pro $189
plus Nuendo/cubase has built in recognition of decklink so any post to film work will auto post to the decklink monitor. not to mention capture abiity of the card for adobe.

as there several tweak sites for audio which are the same for video.
we use the same on audio or video systems we ship.

here is one site
http://www.tweakhound.com/xp/xptweaks/supertweaks1.htm
dont have one for vista
FYI you should be ruinning Vista 64 with Cunedo installed in 32bit mode to be compatible with all the 32bit plugs/vsti

Scott
ADK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]