FORUMS: list search recent posts

diy7 - graphics card question

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
simon ellis
diy7 - graphics card question
on Apr 21, 2009 at 2:26:15 pm

hello!

having followed your excellent diy7 article, i am keen on building that system. i have been making films for ten years and am currently shooting 35mm and HD productions. my home suite is a creaky old canopus raptor system, which has served me well for personal dv projects but is obviously well out of date for anything else. as i am doing an increasing amount of compositing work in after effects (including 1920 x 1080 targa sequences), i could really do with a machine of my own which can take the strain.

i have found a uk-based company (desktopoption.com) that can 'almost' build the same machine as your diy7 recipe for the same price it would cost me to build myself (meaning sourcing the parts from various places and then building with little experience). however, the reason i say they can 'almost' build the correct machine is because of the graphics card. these are the nvidia options they have on offer:

9600GSO 1GB
9600GT 512MB
9600GT 1GB
9800GT/HTDP/512MB
9800GT/HTDP/1GB
9800GTX Plus 512MB DDR3
GTX260/HTDP/896M
9800GX2 1GB
GTX285/HTDP/1GB
GTX295/HTDP1792MB

can you recommend any of these cards if everything else in the system is the same as your diy7 recipe? i have had all manner of problems with hardware conflicts over the years and would really like to avoid any troubles.

very best,

simon

ps - the same company also have another list of available graphics cards under 'sli upgrades' which means the motherboard would need to be updated also...?

Return to posts index

Jcschild
Re: diy7 - graphics card question
on Apr 24, 2009 at 3:29:57 pm

these will be Cuda enabled.

anything past that is a complete waste of money unless doing heavy animation.

Scott
ADK

Return to posts index

simon ellis
Re: diy7 - graphics card question
on May 2, 2009 at 3:05:24 pm

thanks! i ended up deciding to build the system myself so i am going with either the quadro fx1700 or fx 3700 after all...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]