FORUMS: list search recent posts

Do I need faster hardware? (Recent Videoguys SW Purchase)

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
gordon_shumway
Do I need faster hardware? (Recent Videoguys SW Purchase)
on Apr 14, 2009 at 7:39:52 pm

Hey all. Thanks for taking my question and look forward to hearing back on this, as it always seems things are a domino effect when one upgrades one thing.

I recently ordered from Videoguys an upgrade to CS4 Production Premium (it was time). Until the software arrives, I'm using CS3 Premiere Pro and After Effects 7. My question is with this new creative suite do I need to make some upgrades to make this run decent? I already have great performance, but with all the Vista 64 talk I might have to take it up a notch.

Here's my system specs:

Tyan Tempest S2696 Mobo
Dual Intel 5150 XEON (2.66ghz) processors
4 gigs FBRAMM
striped x2 WD Raptor drives
Vista Business x32 bit
NVIDIA Quadro FX1400 (driver updates it to a 1500 though)

WD Caviar Black High performance 1 TB HDD
2TB NAS storage

My question is that if I'm using this as my computer +editing system should I make the upgrade to Vista 64 and furthermore up my RAM? I also don't know if the Quadro FX 1400 will still perform decent or not. I also worry about other program compatibility like office or audio applications with my Delta 1010LT.

At current my system does run very well and don't have much problems other than an occasional crash in CS3, but is way better than XP was running it doing for me.

I also see all the hype starting on these Solid State drives. Would that be a rather wasteful thing to buy with having 2 Raptors striped as my OS system?

I'd like to know just how much improvement I will see if I go x64 and will that bottleneck continue to plaque my current hardware.

I plan to be able to edit HDV, but nothing extremely huge like Red Camera footage.

Thanks very much for your time!

Return to posts index

Alex Cantu
Re: Do I need faster hardware? (Recent Videoguys SW Purchase)
on Apr 15, 2009 at 5:00:29 pm

Hi

You got a nice system! I'm not too familiar with Xeons processors, but as a reference I'm running CS4 on Core2 Quad 2.4 GHz (1066 bus) + 8 GB DDR2 + Vista Ultimate 64.

It has good preformance, rearely crashes but it does sometimes. I usually work with hdv files, and so far two RED projects (if we keep working with this kind of files i'll ask for an i7).

IMO test the CS4.

Return to posts index

Jcschild
Re: Do I need faster hardware? (Recent Videoguys SW Purchase)
on Apr 24, 2009 at 3:27:22 pm

things to consider

1) Vista 64 is better yes 8 gig of ram would be needed
2) your video card is very old and slow an nvidia 260/285 would be far better no need for a quadro anything... unless you want to get into the CX.

SSD is a complete waste other than for your OS.

raiding you OS drive is a VERY BAD idea. the SSD would be faster yes but only the OCZ Apex or vertex, Super Talent ME, Intel anything are worth it
the rest are crap.

Scott
ADK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]