FORUMS: list search recent posts

Not able to process all Matrox RT.X100 real-time??

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Morbius
Not able to process all Matrox RT.X100 real-time??
on Nov 18, 2002 at 11:16:04 pm

I'm brand new to video editing, but (for good or bad) I ended up purchasing the Matrox RT.X100 bundle from VideoGuys.Com. I received it just about a week and a half ago, and of course, being new to all this hardware and software, I haven't gotten too far yet.

But I have put a couple of clips into Premiere to try it out, and I discovered that some of the Matrox supposedly-realtime effects cause my system to drop frames when I try to preview them, which I don't think is right.

Many of the effects seem to preview fine, but for instance, almost all of the Particle Effects transitions cause an error window to popup when I click Preview, that says the system dropped xxx frames (sometimes in the 200-300 range for a 5 second transition) and it explains that this can be because my drives are too slow, not defragmented, not operating in DMA mode, etc. But none of these things are true...and my system is fairly powerful, so I'm trying to decide what's wrong and how to fix it.

I have 2 7200RPM Western Digital 80GB hard drives, one dedicated to the video and audio files. The drives have been defragged and checked for errors. Device Manager shows both drives operating in Ultra DMA Mode 5. And the machine is a P4 2.8Ghz with 1GB of RDRAM. So what else could I do to make this problem go away?

I did just attend a "seminar" here in Denver last week, where a Matrox Rep and a Canopus rep both demoed their products, the MAtrox being my RT.X100. Both demos showed them layering multiple effects and transitions on video and previewing them realtime, so I don't understand why I can't show this single transition without a problem. And while I said that most of the other effects previewed OK, it might be that if I layered a few of them together, I'd have trouble with some of those too!

According to Matrox's web site, my system beats the recommended system, so I don't think I should be seeing this problem. Any ideas?

FYI, here's all my system info:

AlienWare Area 51, P4 2.8GHz
Win XP Pro
1GB PC-800 RDRAM
2 WD 80GB hard drives with 8MB caches, formatted to NTFS (one dedicated to my A/V stuff)
Verto video card with NVidia GeForce4 Ti 4600 chipset
SoundBlaster Audigy 1394
HP DVDwriter 200i and Plextor Plexwriter 40/12/40 CD-ROM
NEC 19" monitor
and of course, the Matrox RT.X100

Return to posts index

ciabt
Re: Not able to process all Matrox RT.X100 real-ti
on Nov 19, 2002 at 3:06:02 am

Hi there
I also own the Matrox RT X100, but have been fortunate to never run in to those problems you've mentioned (Knock on wood). The transitions should be in realtime unless you are applying them to more layers of video than the Matrox RT X100 can handle OR the transitions are too close together (within approx 2 sec, depending on complexity of transition). The only other thing I can think of is that perhaps the audio is in a different format and that the Matrox card is trying to convert it into the appropriate format and is dropping frames do to it. Other than that, I have a little bit less powerful system running my Matrox Card and have never had a problem with it. Good luck I hope things work out for you!
Later
ciabt
P.S. What version of Premiere are you using? Are you selecting the Matrox DV preset when loading project settings?

Return to posts index

John Q
on Nov 19, 2002 at 5:14:20 am

Do you have your video drive configured as secondary IDE master? If you have both the boot and video drive on the same IDE channel, you'll have nothing but dropped frames and conflict.

Return to posts index

Terry Stetler
on Dec 17, 2002 at 4:10:48 pm

In addition to what John Q mentioned please understand that the RT.X100 requires a LOT of PCI bandwidth. As such other cards on the PCI bus that are, shall we say, less than frugal in their resources use (cough...Creative sound cards...cough cough...) can interfere with realtime functionality.

Yes, I know; some Creative cards are in the approved hardware list Razz

I've been using a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz with my RT.X100 since the beta for it began and have had no such issues and I'm using a lowly AthlonXP 2000+ on an MSI 745 Ultra mainboard (SiS 745 chipset).

Terry Stetler

Moderator: Digital Media Net MediaStudio Pro forum

http://www.dmnforums.com/cgi-bin/displaywwugindex.fcgi?forum=uleadmediastud...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]