FORUMS: list search recent posts

Unstable System

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Volzer
Unstable System
on Apr 2, 2009 at 4:21:38 pm

So I bought a Dell XPS 700 from a friend of a friend who was moving out of the country. He had Windows XP 64 on it so I had him wipe the hard drive and remove the operating system. I've installed Vista Ultimate 64 on it and upgraded the ram and storage. I'm running Adobe Production Premium CS3 on it. I've tried installing CS4, but haven't been able to get it to install, but that's a separate issue. The real problem I'm having is the system is really unstable. Whenever I'm doing AE or Premiere work I'm pretty much guaranteed to have at least a couple crashes and I mean crashes where it just turns itself off. It happens most often during long captures like over 20 minutes, or when I'm dragging a mask in AE or dragging anything in AE, scrubbing a timeline in Premiere or dragging a piece of video in Premiere. Also it doesn't seem to handle large AE or Premiere projects very well and slows way down as in slower than the older system I replaced that was almost 5 years old. Any suggestions for what might be wrong. I would like to upgrade rather than build a new system. Any ideas for stablizing the system, making it run better and more effeciently and hopefully installing CS4 would be greatly appreciated. Also i'm going to upgrade the video card to a quadro 3700 hundred, but want to get the system stabilized first if possible.

The system is a Dell XPS 700.

Intel Core 2 Extreme 6800

8GB Ram (upgraded from 4GB all the same Ram)

Geforce 7950GX2 Video Card

500GB system drive (2 500 GB drives in Raid 0)
2 1TB Storage Drives

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
Re: Unstable System
on Apr 2, 2009 at 11:36:34 pm

this may help:
Do a memory/RAM load test and a complete system load test (burn-in) go to download.com and find some shareware/freeware to do this if you don't already have some. if you get errors, it's the hardware. if not, it's the software.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]