FORUMS: list search recent posts

Panasonic AG DVX100B's learning curve?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
theGrindLab
Panasonic AG DVX100B's learning curve?
on Mar 30, 2009 at 4:29:40 am

I'll be purchasing my first camera in a couple weeks and being really new to "pro" video I wanted to get some input from those more experienced than I. So, I have done tons of video with consumer camcorders over the years and I have put together some decent films (for lack of a better word) and I want to step up to something that will get me the quality (at 24 fps) I feel I need to get to that next level but I don't want to break the bank. I'm looking at starting with $3k for the camera and a few accessories and two separate filmmakers in my area (central Texas) suggested the DVX100B. I searched online and found that this was a great piece of work so I'm pretty close to taking the plunge. My question though is, "With having no experience with professional (or "prosumer"Wink equipment would you advise I start with a camera like the 100B? I have read in a couple reviews that the learning curve is a bit steep and though I am pretty natural with all things technical and electronic I don't want to invest in a headache, you know? So, what do you think? Of course, it will come down to me taking a chance, no matter what I decide to purchase but I could use that experienced insight here to give me that final push in either direction.

Thanks for the help.
Moni
theGrindLab

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
Re: Panasonic AG DVX100B's learning curve?
on Jul 10, 2009 at 11:12:26 pm

I am not a fan of the Panasonic lens system unless you plan to never use manual focus and plan to shoot with plenty of light.
I have a friend that is planning on selling his sony DCR-VX2000. (he is a photographer that loves to buy things) He bought two attachment lenses (1 wide, 1 tele) and has 3 batteries for it. I would be surprised if it had more than a 100 hours on the head. more like 50-70.
research and PM me if your interested. (i'm not sure if it does 24p though)

Return to posts index

theGrindLab
Re: Panasonic AG DVX100B's learning curve?
on Jul 10, 2009 at 11:51:40 pm

Thanks! I actually bought a DVX a few days after that post. It's my first camera on this level so I don't have any past experiences to compare to the results I'm getting now but to this point I am very happy. I was afraid I would do simple things like set my shutter speed wrong for shooting conditions but, with the exception of my first shoot, everything looks great. I even shot a fireworks display on the 4th. It came out slightly grainy but I am sure with experience I can improve on that. Anyway, thanks for the reply.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]