FORUMS: list search recent posts

DIY7 is here!!

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Bettan
DIY7 is here!!
on Mar 25, 2009 at 7:57:40 pm

Thank you all for your patience. Our DIY7 article is now posted on the new website
http://www.videoguys.com/Guide/C/DIY+Systems/Videoguys+DIY++Intel+Core+i7/0...

New Intel Core i7 processor makes 64 bit computing a reality!

We knew this day would come. We've been waiting for more then two years to break free from our 32-bit shackles and finally embrace the 64-bit future. We have seen the future, and we have built a machine to take full advantage of it. Videoguys DIY7 is simply the most cost effective platform for video editing we’ve ever put together. For around $2,000 this machine blows the doors off any DIY build article we’ve ever done. The jump in performance and power from DIY6 to DIY7 is nothing short of amazing!

Gary

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
Re: DIY7 is here!!
on Mar 30, 2009 at 1:59:54 pm

So far the feedback from our customers and the industry on DIY7 has been outstanding. We have been asked one question over and over, so I'm going to post it here with our response:

"Why did you only put 6GB of RAM in it? With RAM so cheap, why not spend a hundred bucks more and double it up to 12GB"

You guys a re right. We should, and we will. When we upgrade the graphics card we will also throw in an additional 6GB of RAM. When we first put the build together one of our goals was to keep it under $2K. We went a littel over. When that happened we should have gone with the extra RAM. For $100 it's the cheapest and best and top recommendation we have for increasing the performance of DIY7.

Gary

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
Re: DIY7 is here!!
on Apr 7, 2009 at 9:45:05 pm

can you check the render times from the changes you make-- 6 to 12 GB and possibly the changes in video cards (i think you plan to try the Nvidia CX) would be nice know the benefits for more memory or the use of 'better' video cards.

Return to posts index

John J. Cooney Jr.
p2 workflow; Red workflow
on Apr 10, 2009 at 10:55:54 pm

Last I checked you had only run tests with HDV and said that you planned on running P2 tests soon. Any updates? Any plans to run tests with the Oakley Red?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Ben Blakewood
Perf Testing, video cards and Matrox rt.x2
on Apr 17, 2009 at 2:51:46 pm

Thanks for the DIY articles and forum. I currently run a DIY5 system with a Matrox rt.x2. Generally, it's an OK system but I probably need to get a different video card as the rt.x2 seems very finicky about which cards work best. I purchased an ATI Radeon x1950xtx 512MB card and I don't get as much realtime performance as I expected - especially when working on HD projects. I have seen several reports that the x1950xtx is NOT a good match for the rt.x2. (By the way - I did check with Matrox before purchasing and they "recommended" the x1950xtx---obviously without testing performance.)

I would be interested in performance of rt.x2 with DIY7. (Or will you not even need the rt.x2 if you go with nvidia cx?)

Also I will probably wait until mid-summer to begin building:
1) Because Vista purchases will allow free upgrades to Win 7.
2) Hopefully the 64 bit sw versions for CS4 and Matrox will improve.
3) graphics cards improve and decrease in prices

If anyone has advice or ideas on this approach, it would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Ken
Intel Core I7
by
on Aug 21, 2009 at 7:49:26 pm

I know you have indicated that HP and Dell computers work best with nle systems. Is the same true for the new Intel Core I7 systems from HP. This processor is available in there 9150 series and above.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]