Hi, my current system is setup as follows:
2 x 250 GB Raid for OS
1 500 GB Non Raid internal for Media
1 External 500GB Backup
I realized that this is not the optimal configuration. I need to rearrange the drives so that I have the OS on my non-raid drive and the media on the raid.
Reading the manual that came with my P5WDH Delux it appears there is more than one option for configuring raid. I'm leaning towards using the Intel Matrix Storage manager to set up the system.
1) Is this the right way to go about it?
2) Do I need to format the disks prior to redoing this?
3) The Asus Update Utility appears to automatically obtain new drivers for me (if I am understanding what it says in the book). Do I need to go out and download new drivers for all my on board devices, or does that program do it accurately?
there are two approaches.
1) take an empty HDD and install a fresh OS and programs
2) mirror the OS drive over to an empty drive. (PS you can't copy the drive- you need a special program to mirror it)
after that make sure your new drive works, boots and has everything. if so clean off your old OS on the RAID and add the files you want on your RAID.
PS ASUS MOBOs are known to finicky when setting up the RAID and boot up drive properly. if you find you're having a problem--- the answer is on the board (do a search). the issue is with BIOS settings.
Personally I would raid the two 500s if they are identical and turn one of the 250s into the new OS.