FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dual Processor

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Boleck
Dual Processor
on Mar 17, 2009 at 4:59:28 am

Is Dual Processor worth the money in a video editing workstation? Help me please decide between single Intel i7 and dual Intel Xeon motherboards.

Thank you,
Mike

Return to posts index

Mike Boleck
Re: Dual Processor
on Mar 18, 2009 at 5:19:26 pm

Is this a stupid question, or the guys are not here anymore or too busy with their life?
Anybody else, any thought?

Thank you,
Mike

Return to posts index

Alex Cantu
on Mar 18, 2009 at 10:54:22 pm

The Xeon is way too expensive, the i7 would give an excellent performance for less money.

Of course you don't say any important detail such as the formats you'll be working with. A humble Core 2 Duo is able to work fine with DV and HDV (.mxf) as long as u have enough ram and fast disks.

If you ae going to work with really big files like .r3d then you should't anythig smaller than a 2.66 Quad Core, and dual Xeon would the best in that case.

THe NLE and OS you choose also matters.

And no, your question is not stupid just the attitude

Return to posts index

Mike Boleck
on Mar 19, 2009 at 3:44:17 am

Chipocludo...I am really, really sorry if my post sounded any stupid. You have no idea how much I do appreciate the free help you guys give to anybody here out of no obligation. Please accept my apology and believe me I did not want to upset any of you, or anybody here on this forum. It may be my English and the words I chose, but with no mean intention what so ever.
I was really starting to believe that my question is so dumb that no one will bother answer it. It is the first time I post here. I did not say what kind of file am I going to handle as I do not know yet, as I did not decided if I should continue with Matrox (I am an old Matrox user) or switch to software supported editing and programs like Vegas. I own two HDR-FX1000 so the file of my HHD recorders are m2t's.
However, you gave me a wonderful hand. I will check again the prices, and decide for a system, as I have open projects and my old MB is freezing every 15-20 min.

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
on Mar 19, 2009 at 10:31:00 pm

the old MB isn't freezing every 15-20 minutes--- the software is. The MB only handles electricity.

your question gave me the impression you didn't really bother to read the board which has been glowing about the i7.
OR
I just figured you where the type of person that wanted to do something different than everyone else would. which would also not require a response.

MY motto is: get the best bang for the buck.

Return to posts index

Alex Cantu
on Mar 20, 2009 at 1:32:24 am

No problem man.

Back to your question. I used to work with Matrox too (digisuite and rtx.10) and eventually I switched to Canopus (edius NX), and currently I work with a stand alone version of Edius 5.

You can work fine with a firewire worstation, but you'll miss the realtime preview. IMO your best choice is HDMI capture since your camera support that output. Canopus has a card called HD Storm, which supports HDMI I/O and an optional RCA front bay for composite/ component video.

http://desktop.grassvalley.com/products/HDSTORM/index.php

It uses its own software and has support for many different formats, i find it better than vegas.

My advice would be to configure a system based on the i7, and the extra cash you'd put on a second xeon spend it on an editing card such as this.
The only disadvantange is that this card only has 32-bit drivers, and 64-bit drivers will not be available for at least 3 more months, but it works pretty well on XP and Vista 32-bit.

Black Magic Desgins also has a card with HDMI but I have never work with any of its products. And finally the Matrox RT.x2 is also a good choice, though it only offers component video for HDV. There are several posts in formu regarding the .x2

CHeers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]