FORUMS: list search recent posts

Time for 64-bit ?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
glennrhodes
Time for 64-bit ?
on Mar 7, 2009 at 5:55:42 am

I bought a pretty good system for basic home HDV editing thinking I could migrate to a 64-bit OS and software solution down the road. It is time?

Intel Core 2 Quad, 2.66 GHz
3 GB RAM
500 GB Root Drive
RAID 0 Media Drive (1 TB)
XP Pro
PP CS3

I have heard it is better to wait for Windows 2008 that mess with Vista and also that CS4 is not really optimized for 64-bit really.

Appreciate some honest advice.

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
Re: Time for 64-bit ?
on Mar 9, 2009 at 1:54:54 pm

I wouldn't buy anything today that isn't built on the latest technology.
Look at the new DYI 7. Microcenter is still advertising the i7 920 for $230
---------------
You'll only need a 64bit OS if your NLE is designed for 64bit.

Return to posts index

Alex Cantu
on Mar 11, 2009 at 5:31:10 pm

That's true, most NLE are still 32-bit applications. The only 64-bit product of CS4 is photoshop.

Yet if you want to use 4GB+ of ram, an 64 bit OS is very good choice as every app may use up to 4 GB of ram each. I use vista ultimate x64 SP1 in two machines, one with 4 GB and other 8 GB of ram and love it. Is great when u need to work with several apps at the same time, it works in a way i don't recall ever did with XP Pro.

If u already have a copy of vista, upgrade your ram otherwise wait for windows 7.

Return to posts index

Jcschild
on Mar 12, 2009 at 2:03:21 pm

Avid (MC), adobe, Vegas basically everything but Edius (vista 32 only) and Newtek are all 64 bit and working wonderfully.

CS4 is extremely optimised for 64 bit, CS3 was ok but limited to 4gig per app (premiere, AE, PS etc)

Scott
ADK

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
on Mar 25, 2009 at 2:34:38 am

Chipocludo: If u already have a copy of vista, upgrade your ram otherwise wait for windows 7.

I know this an old thread but I recently found a bug/problem with 64bit Windows 7 (beta) and Encore CS4. I lock up when i try to make a Blu-ray disc.
I wonder how long it will take Adobe to find it themselves.
some else found it too. http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b7893d

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]