FORUMS: list search recent posts

Intel Matrix Storage vs hardware raid card??

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
eruption
Intel Matrix Storage vs hardware raid card??
on Feb 20, 2009 at 3:41:38 pm

Hi,

I'm having a i7/P6T Deluxe computer put together. Just wondered if there's much difference between going with the Intel Matrix Storage onboard the P6T board compare to using a hardware PCI based raid card such as Caldigit or G-Tech.

I am looking at at 150Gb drive for OS and 2 1Tb drives in RAID 0 for scratch disks.

It just seem like going the hardware card would lend itself to better expandability. Would its also help with overall speed?

Thanks.

Patrick

Return to posts index

Alex Cantu
Re: Intel Matrix Storage vs hardware raid card??
on Feb 20, 2009 at 6:42:40 pm

Onboard controllers sucks!!!

At least my experience with Marvell Raid controllers have been nightmare.

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
on Feb 22, 2009 at 6:35:16 pm

My gigabyte board was easy to setup compared to the ASUS board. I find the ASUS to be finicky-- if you read the old post and you can see how many people have problems with ASUS RAID setups (and BIOS settings).
Internal RAIDs have worked fine for me.
If you plan to go with an external system. I suggest you make sure your external RAID is on a back-up battery system (I assume everyone uses one).

Return to posts index

jeffcss
on Mar 27, 2009 at 2:25:51 am

I know this a late reply, but I use the motherboard based RAID for the O/S in a mirror and an Adaptec RAID card for the data. The 5 series. This card is much faster and it gives you a safe RAID 5 or RAID 1 close to the speed of a motherboard based RAID 0.

You can but this card with internal or external connectors or both.

And as LeeAVP mentioned, I did buy the battery backup module.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]