FORUMS: list search recent posts

My new system (opinions wanted)

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sunrisepilot
My new system (opinions wanted)
on Feb 9, 2009 at 2:11:58 pm

I am in the process of putting together the following system for AVCHD editing and am looking for opinions on it (the good, the bad and the ugly)

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 2.66GHz FSB 1333, 6MB, 45nm CPU
ASUS P5N-D nVidia 750i Motherboard
8GB DDR II 800
LG DVD RW + Dual Layer SATA
Seagate 500GB 7200RPM SATA (OS and editing /graphic Softs)
2x nVidia GeForce 9800 GT 1GB (SLI)
2X WD 1TB eSATA (video and project storage)
Vista 64 Ultimate

Cheers
Doug

Return to posts index

Jcschild
Re: My new system (opinions wanted)
on Feb 10, 2009 at 3:37:56 pm

is this a gaming box or editing? dump the SLi useless
thats not a good choice of motherboards if you are going to do nVidia chipset then 780i or 790i, otherwise P45 and not Asus.

for a few $ more you can get a Core i7 which screams

Scott
ADK

Return to posts index

Alex Cantu
on Feb 10, 2009 at 10:08:21 pm

I don't like the mobo you chose... though I like asus products, i avoid nvidia chipsets. SLI is completely useless unless you work on a 3d app that actually use it (or you are gamer like me).

And agree with Jcschild, the i7 is worth the extra chash, but you will need at least 6GB DD3 (and ddr3 is still kind of expensive but). Get a sinlge nividia GTX 285 instead, and put the extra cash on ram.

BTW, what NLE do you have in mind?

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
on Feb 10, 2009 at 10:15:47 pm

Jcschild: for a few $ more you can get a Core i7 which screams

Scott
ADK

yup I second that.
My 920 (2.66Ghz) i7 overclocks itself to 2.79Ghz without doing anything. I plan to overclock it to 3 or 3.2Ghz. Still $230 at Micro Center. (i think)

LG drive? I think Optiarc or Lite-on would be better for a single drive system.
500GB OS drive? seems a bit large for a NLE only system. go use a 250GB for $40 (save some$).
I don't know how much the WD 1TB eSATA drive is-- non-the-less... I saw a 1.5GB SATA Seagate for $140 = probably gives you more storage space for the money. (side question: you mentioned eSATA-- are you putting this outside of your case? not inside? RAIDing the 2 drives?)
why do you need two video cards? isn't it a dual output? You using more than two monitors?

Return to posts index

Sunrisepilot
on Mar 6, 2009 at 6:23:39 pm

Chipocludo: I don't like the mobo you chose... though I like asus products, i avoid nvidia chipsets. SLI is completely useless unless you work on a 3d app that actually use it (or you are gamer like me).

BTW, what NLE do you have in mind?

I also do 3-D animation thus the SLIed VCs

As for editin... I currently use Pinnacle Studio (11.1 and 12.1) ultimate.

A am concidering Avid L7 as well.

I have this system up and running with Vista 64 Ultimate and it seems to be flying along great so far. No BSODs or errors from the OS or Studio.

I also plan on adding a BD burner.

I am currenly using a Panny AG-DVC60 and am looking at jumping into AVCHD with their AG-HMC70, and was hoping to get a boost rfom the SLI cards.

Cheers
Doug

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]