FORUMS: list search recent posts

turn DV Tapes into tapeless workflow question

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
rcorrell
turn DV Tapes into tapeless workflow question
on Feb 1, 2009 at 8:52:51 pm

I have about 50 tapes with random footage that I would like to organize into small clips that can be scanned faster and speed up my workflow.
I didn't start out with good house keeping skills and now it's costing me (live and learn)

Maybe some of you have done this and can point me in the right direction.
Here are my Ideas:

Capture each tape and render out in small clips save to spare drive

Or

Create 1 huge capture project (on spare drive) for ALL tape and just import files to new projects as needed.

Any ideas are welcome............Thanks

PS:
(I use Adobe CS3/Canon HV30)

Return to posts index

Alex Cantu
Re: turn DV Tapes into tapeless workflow question
on Feb 5, 2009 at 5:08:13 pm

Hi

I found out that keeping all in hardrives can be a problem in a long term. Drives can fail, and based on other people experience, you end up doing a backup copy of your backup. That's a lot of dives... though it works for some people... organized people.

I have a similiar problem right now, and I plan to buy BD burner and store all the stock that way, and keep in a drive only the clips i need for an specific project.

If you go with a HDD solution, use an external drive in Raid 1 configuration, render all the footage as DV, and organize the suff in diffrent folders (by theme, client, or whatever). That's the easy part of the job, IMO next step is doing an excel file with the footage list, use fileds like: director, client, product, date, and other keywords so can find stuff quickly. And finally, in case you dont use Adobe Bridge use a visualization app for quick preview such as ACDSee.

Cheers.

Return to posts index

rcorrell
Re: turn DV Tapes into tapeless workflow question
on Feb 5, 2009 at 9:22:52 pm

Thanks for the reply. Sound like you done this many times.
Well I better get started. Thanks again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]