need capture card and software for firewire hd in and out

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
fredjones
on Jan 20, 2009 at 2:51:10 am

hi all

i have a sony hdr hc7

i would like some info on a good firewire capture card and software. what i hope to do is, apart from using tape, i want the option of connecting the camcorder directly to the computer hard drive and recording directly thereon in hd. then, after editing, i want to be able to output onto minidv tape via the camcorder. is this possible?

also, does firewire transfer also record date and time code? directly onto hard drive? (and from tape onto hard drive?) and output onto tape?

thanks for all help!

Return to posts index

Jcschild
Re: need capture card and software for firewire hd in and out
on Jan 20, 2009 at 2:59:20 pm

HI,
if you ingest via firewire you will NOT have HD footage. you will be DV.

your cam has HDMI and Component out. i dont knwo if that cam bypasses the chip or not when ingesting via these 2 but its the only way to get any kind of HD. not firewire.

the Decklink Intensity Pro will ingest both HDMI and Component.

the issue with ingesting HD is harddrive thruput.
i have a Canon HD20 (also consumer level like yours) but when i capture live via HDMI or component. it requires a raid arrary harrdirves.
also once you go to TAPE its compressed (not real HD) so all you most liekly need is fireire.

firewire for DV ingest any Texas Intruments firewire will do (onboard most good computers
and even Via (the newer chipset) is now fine as well. if your system does not have either of these 2 chipsets than buy a firewire card with TI chipset. Siig, Belkin and several others.

the Canopus ADVC 110 will also do component in/out but again firewire and therefore compressed.
as far as software pick one!
Vegas studio is an affordable yet powerful software for $100

http://www.videoguys.com/vegasmoviestudio.html

Scott
ADK

Return to posts index

fredjones
need capture card and software for firewire h
on Jan 20, 2009 at 7:29:57 pm

thanks for taking the time to reply

so if i'm correct in my understanding, you are saying

a - that i can transfer full hd to computer hdd using hdmi and component?
b - that the camcorder may not ingest either of these?
c - that firewire will not export or ingest full hd?

if b is the case, i guess i'm out of luck...don't reallly want to spend $1500 for a sony minidv hd deck

oh, well

ps - am i to understand that firewire will export/ingest the compressed hd that is minidv hd, from to the camcorder, or will it be sd only?

sorry if i'm repeating myself, just would like to be as sure as i can! (not up on all the terminology)

thanks!

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Jan 20, 2009 at 8:10:05 pm

you can ingest HDV footage via firewire. Or you can ingest uncompressed HD footage via component or HDMI. Their is very littel advantage for you to use uncompressed from this cam. The footage has been compressed to HDV, so the image isn;t any bettr. The advantage of uncompresed is if you are going to be doing lots of layering, compositing or heavy FX work.

You have lots of options here. Adobe Premiere pro, Avid Media COmposer, Sony Vegas and Final Cut will all work very well with your camcorder using either HDV.

The MAtrox RT.X2LE with Premeire Pro is a great option that allows you to edit HDV with the same ease and workflow as DV footage.

Gary

Return to posts index

Jcschild
Re: need capture card and software for firewire h
on Jan 20, 2009 at 9:59:58 pm

fredjones: thanks for taking the time to reply

so if i'm correct in my understanding, you are saying

a - that i can transfer full hd to computer hdd using hdmi and component?
b - that the camcorder may not ingest either of these?
c - that firewire will not export or ingest full hd?

if b is the case, i guess i'm out of luck...don't reallly want to spend $1500 for a sony minidv hd deck

oh, well

ps - am i to understand that firewire will export/ingest the compressed hd that is mini dv hd, from to the camcorder, or will it be sd only?

sorry if i'm repeating myself, just would like to be as sure as i can! (not up on all the terminology)

thanks!

HI,
A) would be LIVE capture only, once it goes to tape its compressed. and your cam does not do full HD which is 1920 x 1080P uncompressed

b) the cam can connect via HDMI or Component for live capture of HD (limited by the cam)

or dv/hdv to tape. which is compressed. as Gary said.

C) firewire (DV, HDV) is compressed and one of the worst compressions.
compared to say XDcam or P2

unfortunately there is alot of marketing HYPE with the letter HD's in it.

with that said your HDV cams picture will most definately look better than a cheaper dv cam.

SD is standard def what you see on a standard tube TV 640x 480 lines.
which is also DV HDV varies greatly and lot depends on the chip(s) codecs and number of chips.

corerct firewire will bring in DV/HDV but compressed

i hope that helps.

Scott
ADK

Return to posts index

fredjones
on Jan 21, 2009 at 4:01:56 am

guys, thanks for all your help

i should have been more communicative as to my situation, which would perhaps have obviated this latest entry of mine!

anyhow, i was not unaware that minidv hd is not full hd, so i must confess i 'mis-spoke' when i said full hd; i really meant 'minidv hd with no degradation'

so i think i have one final(?!) question: if i connect the camcorder to the pc using the firewire/ilink, can i export to the pc, edit, then import back to the camcorder with no quality loss to the minidv hd?

(the situation is that i sometimes record from a stationary location, and if i could bypass tape and record directly onto pc hard-drive, i won't have to worry about the tape running out; also, once i edit, i could simply record on tape just the scenes or portions i want to keep, thus maximizing efficiency of tape usage

i hope i have made myself clear and won't have to bother anyone else again on this same topic!

but thanks for all the kind help

Return to posts index

Jcschild
on Jan 21, 2009 at 4:04:24 pm

if i connect the camcorder to the pc using the firewire/ilink, can i export to the pc, edit, then import back to the camcorder with no quality loss to the minidv hd?

yes for the most part. as long as you dont change codecs.

the situation is that i sometimes record from a stationary location, and if i could bypass tape and record directly onto pc hard-drive, i won't have to worry about the tape running out;

i would not capture live thru firewire, if you run out of tape then buy a firestore
http://www.videoguys.com/focus.html
then you can transfer very quickly into the computer. in fact i recommend this over tape anyday.
capturing live via the HDMI/Component again is uncompressed and requires raid arrays, and even more so a heafty computer for editing. (where i come in Very Happy )
plus if you have to go back to tape you have to change formats(codecs) and this will not be lossless. plus the render times involved.

KISS: keep it simple S...... Very Happy

Scott
ADK

Return to posts index

fredjones
on Jan 22, 2009 at 7:14:40 pm

thanks again for your help, jcschild

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]