FORUMS: list search recent posts

Videoguys Video Storage FAQs

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Bettan
Videoguys Video Storage FAQs
on Jan 19, 2009 at 5:33:16 pm

One of the most confusing things about digital video editing is the storage requirement. In this article the Videoguys Techs will help you better understand just what kind of storage you'll need for your video productions. Mac or PC based video editors face the same storage challenges and questions, and we've got the straight forward answers you need!

http://www.videoguys.com/techstorage.htm

Gary

Return to posts index

Jcschild
Re: Videoguys Video Storage FAQs
on Jan 19, 2009 at 6:14:02 pm

Nice Very Happy

but you left out a very important fact
NEVER read/write to the sme drive
also you should mention that past 60-65% full drives become very slow.

ideally a 3 drive minimum

1) OS
2) Capture/work
3) final render

doing 2 +3 on 1 raid 0 array, not a good idea and much slower.
best is doing 2 and 3 BOTH in raid 0 (4 drive total or 8 for HD work)

Scott
ADK

Return to posts index

simon ellis
on Jan 15, 2010 at 1:34:59 am

hey guys,

what exactly will be the impact of usb 3.0 on external storage options? will it mean that full, uncompressed hd footage will be manageable for editing on cheaper drives than, say, a costly 4TB g-tech raid?

or will it make no difference?

thanks!

simon

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Jan 16, 2010 at 10:23:52 pm

USB3 will become another connectivity option/ Today a graid can connect via usb2, firewire or eSata. eSata is the fastest. USB3 looks like it may be as fast as eSata, but I'm not sure that will be true for sustained throughput with large files like video.

I would expect that the next generation of G-Tech drives add USB3 support.

Gary

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
on Jan 18, 2010 at 4:35:07 pm

Someone at the USB organization/group booth at CES 2010 were not all that helpful, but with that said... it seems most of the future external hard drives will be USB 3.0 and they believe card readers will adopt this speed too. It has an ultra small port that looks like it would break easily or you could lose connection easily. The port seems designed for small tech devices like cameras, phones, etc...
The thing is we won't see products coming out until 4th quarter this year.
(although the USB 3.0 card for PCIe slot already is being sold)
I didn't see much USB 3.0 devices at CES then again CES is not COMDEX which is now defunct. I suppose if you go to INTEROP, in Apr, you might get more info.

Return to posts index

simon ellis
on Jan 20, 2010 at 11:47:33 am

okay, thanks fellas. it seems like it's a way off yet then...

simon

Return to posts index

RJL0365
on Oct 24, 2010 at 12:01:43 am

Videoguys Top Computer "Gotchas" for Video Editing

Right now we do not have any specific brands that we do not recommend. What is very important is that you make sure any machine you buy does NOT have any of the following "Gotchas":

•5400 RPM drives (or even slower) - video editing requires 7200RPM drives for video storage. We also recommend a 7200RPM or faster boot drive. Don't let your storage be the bottleneck in your systems performance.

I would also add old (or old-generation) hard drives to that paragraph, even if they spin at 7200RPM or even 10,000RPM. These hard drives have sustained throughput rates that can be much lower than even a 5400RPM hard drive of the current generation. In fact, a few 7200RPM hard drives whose throughput is as slow as the latest 5400RPM hard drives are still available new on the market today.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]