FORUMS: list search recent posts

premier with or without matrox rtx2-le?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
billmatthiesn
premier with or without matrox rtx2-le?
on Jan 13, 2009 at 5:55:37 pm

I'm getting ready to build a new quad core machine, and am wondering whether to add the rtx2-le accelerator card?

I'm wondering whether anyone who already has a fast quad core machine with the card would be willing to share their results on short mpeg2 encoding test with me?

What's the time difference to encode a file (length of your choice) using premier CS4 with it's own encoder ... versus the same encode using your rtx2-le accelerator card?

I know for my current system (pp1.5 on a pentium 4, 3.2 ghz machine with 3 gigs ram, and raid 0 drives), a DVD encode without the RTX100 board is about 6 times slower.

But I'm wondering what the speed up difference might be with a much better machine -- and whether the matrox card is really going to make much of a difference.

I envision a 3 ghz core 2 quad, intel chip & motherboard, with raid drives for projects and exports, 8 gigs, vista64, quadro 1500 graphics card, etc. So this should be a pretty fast machine, before adding a matrox card.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Bill Matthiesen ... bill@bfv.com

Return to posts index

Jcschild
Re: premier with or without matrox rtx2-le?
on Jan 14, 2009 at 6:50:15 pm

the RTX2 is still far faster than without.
of course we are talking about a huge gain in system performance to begin with.

obviously something that in ingested as MPeg already is faster to render out than having to render to Mpeg as well as render effects.

yes the new system would be a light yr jump over the P4 but the RTX2 makes it even faster.

i would be looking at the core i7 if you want insane speeds for nearly the same money

Scott
ADK

Return to posts index

billmatthiesn
with or without matrox board
on Jan 14, 2009 at 7:04:27 pm

Thanks, Scott -- this is very helpful.

I was wondering about the i7. I'm hoping to hear from someone who has actually used the chip and associated intel board, just to make sure everything is mutually compatible for pp and after efx.

By the way, which version of Vista64 should I get? I see they have a home, a business and an "ultimate" version.

Thanks again.

Bill

Return to posts index

Jcschild
on Jan 14, 2009 at 11:31:23 pm

Biz 64

the ultimate has all the "media center" junk in it.

while its not so much a negative thing like XP media center itself was
its just bloat ware you dont need.

Scott
ADK

PS core i7 renders are sweet. a still render in AE that took over 3 minutes on an 1 ver back (53xx series) Xeons now takes 20 seconds!

one of these days i will get all our benchmarks posted on our site..

Return to posts index

billmatthiesn
on Jan 15, 2009 at 12:41:40 am

Thanks so much, Scott -- this is extremely helpful.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]