FORUMS: list search recent posts

New i7 Intel Processor

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
joatmon73
New i7 Intel Processor
on Dec 24, 2008 at 4:18:38 am

Just looking for feedback from anyone who has the i7 processor. I currently have the Quad Core Q6600 2.4 GHz, but desire to put a new system together for the i7 920 2.66 GHz.

I would be using the Intel DX58SO LGA 1366 Motherboard with the system and my current nVidia Gforce 8800 video card.

I'm sure this will be a back and forth discussion and I will add more information as that happens.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
Re: New i7 Intel Processor
on Jan 28, 2009 at 6:37:07 pm

you have to make sure you use the correct OS version that can see the 8 processing threads.
if anyone is thinking of building a new system. this is the best bang for the buck CPU (i7 920) that will give you the best render times AND we all know that is what slows us down.

Return to posts index

joatmon73
Soon to Benchmark
on Jan 29, 2009 at 4:14:34 am

I just purchased the DX58SO board with the i7 920 processor today. As soon as it gets here, I will be able to benchmark and compare my current Q6600.

I am sure the claim that this new processor is the biggest improvement in 13 years will hold true, especially since this setup completely revamps the FSB technology and doesn't have a middle man anymore.

Can't wait to get it.

Return to posts index

Jcschild
on Jan 30, 2009 at 3:48:19 pm

i hope you do not have any PCIe/PCI casrd to install...

that board is crap unless only doing firewire....

Core i7 itself holy cow! beating Xeons even

Scott
ADK

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
on Feb 2, 2009 at 7:30:55 pm

Jcschild: i hope you do not have any PCIe/PCI card to install...

that board is crap unless only doing firewire....

Intel doesn't make ideal MOBOs for us.
I suggest looking at ASUS, Giga-Byte, Supermicro, or eVGA (never built an eVGA). look for internal SATA (RAIDable), external Firewire (and internal connection for external), eSATA, # of RAM supported, and open slots for what ever extra cards you plan to install.

Stay away from Biostar (horrible customer service) and look for reviews from people who bought the MOBO.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]