FORUMS: list search recent posts

Performance Benchmarks Help

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
saveus222
Performance Benchmarks Help
on Dec 9, 2008 at 8:21:18 am

Hi,

This is my system build. I am not very happy with the performance. How do I measure performance for the same to know if my system is performing well enough and how do I find the bottleneck.

Intel Woodcrest 5130 Dual Processors
Intel S5000XVN Motherboard.
Intel SCE5400 WS Chassis
Nvidia (Leadtek) FX1500 GPU
Seagate 2X320 GB SATA on RAID0 (inbuilt raid controller intel mega SR)
Transcend DDR2 4 GB RAM (4 sticks)
Windows XP Professional SP2 OEM.

Windows XP is installed on the RAID0 partition.

Editing Suite: Avid Xpress Pro 5.6.4

I am not sure if its the issue with avid but the same avid suite runs faster on an Intel E4600 Allendale Processor.

Windows XP

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: Performance Benchmarks Help
on Dec 10, 2008 at 3:27:38 am

Although you have two hard drives, partitioning a RAID0 configuration does not result in two separate drives. Windows always takes priority in drive access, so your video editing is interrupted by Windows. Video editing is an extremely drive intensive operation, so having your videos on the same physical hard drives as your OS slows it down. You need to install Windows on one physical hard drive and perform your editing on a second hard drive or RAID on a different controller than the boot drive, as described in the VideoGuys Getting Started Guide http://www.videoguys.com/started.html.

Return to posts index

Alex Cantu
on Dec 12, 2008 at 5:40:59 pm

Have u considered a 64 bit OS???

Return to posts index

saveus222
on Dec 22, 2008 at 5:20:56 pm

Hi,

guys I have tried the other way around like you mentioned. raid on a different set of disks etc. this is just another of my efforts to see if this works.. So would you say that my above system the xeon system that is is a powerful system or wat or is it outdated. ? coz my core2duo runs avid faster. is it something with multi threading ?

Return to posts index

Jcschild
on Dec 23, 2008 at 7:48:07 pm

HI,
that particular Xeon system is rather slow, yes a single dual core could outperform it for most editing tasks (other than final renders)

also as mentioned you never install you OS on a raid array.

you drive set up should look like this a minimum of 3 drives

C: drive OS and programs (single drive no raid)

Capture/work drive: single or raid o array ( 2-4 drives per array)

Final render/short term storage : single or raid o array ( 2-4 drives per array)

and an external(s) to archive with

SCott
ADK

Return to posts index

KenPC
System Config, Raid and Performance
on Jan 21, 2009 at 4:59:16 pm

SaveUs222,

How did you make out with any of the suggestions?

I am in the process of tuning a Xeon Quad core, 4G (3.25), 2x250GB and 1TB HDD with Quadro 3700, running WinXP Pro SP3.

I have the OS on one 250GB, Sony Vegas Pro 8.0c on the other 250GB and my video files on one partition (500GB) of the 1TB drive. No Raid.

Compared to my previous Win XP system, performance is 15-20x.

HP has a white paper that doesn't endorse Raid 0 if the drives are on the same controller, as mine are. That is why I have not set up Raid 0. I will try it to evaluate performance change.

The HP workstation comes with a Utility called Performance Tuning Framework. Running the diagnostic showed some pagefile faults. I will try some of the suggestions in the VideoGuys Guide to evaluate that.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]