FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need new rig built - need help

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Seaking
Need new rig built - need help
on Nov 20, 2008 at 4:10:18 am

hi folks.. my principle video editing rig is showing it's age and coming apart little by little, and in need of replacing. With the amount of video editing I'm doing these days, I'm ready to invest into a decent system to get my work done smoother and faster.. I currently video tape to MiniDV, capture to HDD and use Magix Movie Edit Pro 14E which I then export to WMV for web and DVD for distribution.

I need to get my system built locally as I would need to get fast repair times to reduce downtime.

Would someone here be able to assist me in picking out what would be the best system parts from a website of the local shop I would be purchasing from? I'd be looking for a system that would permit me some upgrade capability, etc.

But basic questions like choice of video card, should I go for a Quadro or stick with a gaming card? How fast of a quad core should I go before the expense of faster negates the speed increase benefits.

I'm sure this question gets asked all the time by soooo many people.. so I'm hoping someone could help me too?

Cheers and thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Alex Cantu
Re: Need new rig built - need help
on Nov 20, 2008 at 3:58:09 pm

Hi

Gaming card works fine... but mostly the choice of graphic cards depends on the NLE software you are using. There's a DIY article on that.

http://www.videoguys.com/DIY-GPU.html

It's a bit old, but still useful.

Quadro cards are expensive, consider them only it your work 3D stuff or programs that really use openGL.

BTW, what will u use for capture/editing?

Cheers

Return to posts index

Seaking
on Nov 20, 2008 at 4:16:09 pm

Chipocludo: Hi

Gaming card works fine... but mostly the choice of graphic cards depends on the NLE software you are using. There's a DIY article on that.
http://www.videoguys.com/DIY-GPU.html
It's a bit old, but still useful.
Quadro cards are expensive, consider them only it your work 3D stuff or programs that really use openGL.
BTW, what will u use for capture/editing?
Cheers

As mentioned in my post I use Magix's Movie Edit Pro 14E (which is a do all suite, edit, author to DVD etc.)

I'm basically self-taught and do the same tasks within my production line. I used to use premier 6.5 I think it was until I stumbled on MEP14e. Since then I've never looked back and enjoy the speed and simplicity of use, at such a great price.. a lot of people I think may dismiss the software due to it's price but for every day web / dvd needs, it's perfect.

the DIY article really doesn't help me as I don't know enough about it for it to be of use to me.. I don't know what I should be looking at.

With the new i7 systems coming out, I may have to wait for those to come main stream or simply byte the bullet and get into as fast a quad system as I can go for the time being.. and then see what happens.

But I'm still left with the ponderance of what to do about a video card..

The local sources I've been asking give me conflicting answers so at times I feel to be going backwards in my search..

Remember the days when this was all so easy Smile

Return to posts index

Alex Cantu
on Nov 20, 2008 at 7:15:37 pm

I looked for it on the internet. It 's based on DirectX, not OpenGL. A Quadro card is not required and won't really see a difference, any recent gaming card seems to be OK as it is target to hobbyst.

Nvdia GeForce 9600/9800 should work fine or ATI 4850 (and they're great for gaming too!!!)

Also, If you only work with DV stuff a 3.0 Ghz Core2 Duo is enough... or if you have the budget go for a 2.83 Ghz Quad Core IMO

Core i7 has not been priced (so far I know), but if you are not in a hurry maybe you should wait.

Return to posts index

Seaking
on Nov 22, 2008 at 6:07:09 am

Chipocludo: I looked for it on the internet. It 's based on DirectX, not OpenGL. A Quadro card is not required and won't really see a difference, any recent gaming card seems to be OK as it is target to hobbyst.

Nvdia GeForce 9600/9800 should work fine or ATI 4850 (and they're great for gaming too!!!)

Also, If you only work with DV stuff a 3.0 Ghz Core2 Duo is enough... or if you have the budget go for a 2.83 Ghz Quad Core IMO

Core i7 has not been priced (so far I know), but if you are not in a hurry maybe you should wait.

Thanks for the info M8.. I'm finding out that more horsepower is what I need more than video card prowess.. a faster Quad is within my budget and this might be the route to take..

The i7 systems are available but as I read in several forums, best to wait until Q2/3 to let the pricing settle down. Funny enough, a decent i7 system in the US would cost you as much as it will cost ME to have my faster Quad system built here.. sucks.

Once I have that system built then I can offload this MacPro that I initially bought for video editing.. "ooh it's SO fast" they told me.. compared to a what, a G4? man.. what a rip.. but that's an entirely different story..

Return to posts index

Peter Brixey
New System Needed.
on Nov 22, 2008 at 7:02:27 pm

I am in the same boat. Need some new gear. I am using an Acer 1640 laptop, external storage drives and Adobe Premier Pro 1.5.

Most of my work is Video conversion from NTSC and PAL video tape to DVD.

Super slow burn times, can take 3 hours to burn a single layer 60 minute DVD from the time I push the "burn" button not including the time to digitize the tape and do any edits.

I am looking at building a new system following the Videoguys DIY6 configuration. Have you looked at this? Component prices are continuing to come down.

Return to posts index

Seaking
Re: New System Needed.
on Nov 22, 2008 at 8:31:09 pm

mb300e: I am in the same boat. Need some new gear. I am using an Acer 1640 laptop, external storage drives and Adobe Premier Pro 1.5.

Most of my work is Video conversion from NTSC and PAL video tape to DVD.

Super slow burn times, can take 3 hours to burn a single layer 60 minute DVD from the time I push the "burn" button not including the time to digitize the tape and do any edits.

I am looking at building a new system following the Videoguys DIY6 configuration. Have you looked at this? Component prices are continuing to come down.

ooh using a laptop.. ouch.. I use mine (tosh) when I'm on the road shooting content but it sucks..

Have you checked to see what or how many cores your software is actually using and if you're going the wrong way, depending on your software / OS usage is?

I finally got my XP Home, Q6600 4g system VERY stable again after replacing the memory, might have been a bad module or something.. but while doing tests, I realized my software, Movie Edit Pro 14E Suite only uses 2 of the 4 cores of my Quad.. So perhaps, as a stop gap measure, I can simply replace the Quad with a much faster C2D proc..

The ONLY thing I would need to verify is to see if XP Pro makes a difference with this prog and Quad.. someone had mentioned that XP Pro makes better use of Quad Cores than XP Home.

Can someone expand on this info before I go out and get a new proc installed? !

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]