FORUMS: list search recent posts

need advice on building first computer

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
rstan
need advice on building first computer
on Nov 8, 2008 at 10:35:50 pm

Hi,
Im building my first computer to run Adobe cs4 production premium. I will be working with HDV most of the time. Would like to use vista 64 as OS. Here's a list of what i have in mind.

ASUS P5Q3 LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard -

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80569Q9550 -

Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 64-bit English 1pk DSP OEI DVD for System Builders - OEM

PNY VCQFX1700-PCIE-PB Quadro FX1700 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Workstation Video Card -

CORSAIR XMS3 DHX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TW3X4G1600C9DHX -(8GB)

Thermaltake W0131RU 850W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI NVIDIA SLI Certified NVIDIA QUAD-SLI APPROVED 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply -

Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600AAJS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM Sad for OS)

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM : (x-2)

Creative Sound Blaster SB0570 Audigy SE 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card -

LG Black 6X Blu-ray Disc Burner & HD DVD-ROM Drive SATA Model GGW-H20LK - OEM

ASUS Black SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model DVD-E818A3T -

Thermaltake Armor Series VA8003BWS Black Full Tower Case w/ 25CM Fan -

or

Thermaltake Xaser VI VG4000BNS Black / Red Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case -

please let me know what you think of this set up.

As for my questions.

1. can I add a processor(Q9550) to the mobo later? (to have a dual Qaud)

2. Memory, reading reviews I seen poeple talking about setting the timing and matching. I dont know anything about this. I was hoping to just put it in and go.

3. Is any other type of capture card needed for the IEEE 1394 and usb? In the back of the computer to add more 1394 and usb do you have to buy cable and run to a capture card?

4. Formatting the HD. Do you do this before you install your OS? Also how do you set up an raid for your other drives?

5. Any other cables, screws, conector, misc. needed?

6. The cases im looking at come with 4-5 fans. Will any more be needed?

I know this is alot (at least to me) and I hope somebody can help me. I just smart enough to get myself in trouble and cost myself alot of money. Laughing

Thanks

Return to posts index

rstan
Re: need advice on building first computer
on Nov 12, 2008 at 1:19:35 pm

for my motherboard question I found this

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/251948-30-dual-quad-core-intel-chipset-mo...

Now that Im geting into this I see just how basic my questions are, I find it hard to belive I could not get any help here.

Return to posts index

Alex Cantu
on Nov 13, 2008 at 4:05:39 pm

Hi

Let me try to answer your questions:

1. can I add a processor(Q9550) to the mobo later? (to have a dual Qaud)?
A. Not with that mobo, you need an intel 5400 (asus has a version for this mobo too). That's the only chipset line that handles two cpu, and it's compatible with Xeon and Core2 with 1600 bus.

2. Memory, timing....etc, etc
A. Memory and CPU have different frequencies, it's recommended that they have either the same or half of it. Let say u have a 1066 bus cpu, you could either use 533MHz or 1066MHz ddr2 memory (using slower memory may affect performance). For 1333 CPU you need 667MHz or 1333 MHz memory and so. Gamers pay more attention o these kind of details actually since they overclock cpu and memory more often.

3. Is any other type of capture card needed for the IEEE 1394 and usb?
A. Yes, there several cards. 1394 is an standard and may be everythig you need. If you need to output toa video monitor, HDMI, SDI or component I/O then you need a "real" capture card. CHeck the following links:

http://www.matrox.com/video/en/home/
http://desktop.thomsongrassvalley.com/home.php
http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/

4. Formatting the HD. Do you do this before you install your OS? Also how do you set up an raid for your other drives?
A. Yes, you MUST format the disk before installing the OS, in fact is part of the process. In the case of the mobo you chose, u can set a raid after installing the OS with its own raid utility.

5. Any other cables, screws, conector, misc. needed?
A. If you buy a professional card you may need BNC cables and adapters (google this)

6. The cases im looking at come with 4-5 fans. Will any more be needed?
A. Fans are good, 4 is enough IMO

...I find it hard to belive I could not get any help here

People in this forum anwser questions for good will, and I think the most of us work and that means we get busy from time to time... I don't see why you complain just because u didn't get an immediate answer ¬¬

Return to posts index

John Q
on Nov 14, 2008 at 4:41:02 am

I'd hold off a little and build a Core i7 system, which would give you 8 cpu cores on one chip, running Vista64 with 12 GB of RAM. Maximum PC's test results blew any current PC totally away.

Return to posts index

rstan
on Nov 14, 2008 at 4:54:50 am

Chipocludo,

thank you for taking the time to respond to my questions. You have been very helpful.

as to the complaining.

Im very pumped up about this project and was thinking this site was going to be the best place for me to get advice. after 4 days and nothing I got a little worked up. Sorry, but as you can see after 5 days, Im still coming back.

Thanks again

Return to posts index

rstan
on Nov 14, 2008 at 5:20:36 am

John Q,

That does sound good, Im going to have to look into that.

Thanks

Return to posts index

rstan
on Nov 14, 2008 at 6:00:37 am

John Q

I found this at ADK video editing

http://www.adkvideoediting.com/systems/viewsystem.cfm?recordid=90

Nice review, the benchmark with premiere cs3 looked good.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/Intel-Core-i7-Nehalem,2057.html

Return to posts index

John Q
on Nov 14, 2008 at 7:17:30 pm

That system looks pretty good. You might want to consider the Bella EZ keyboard with jog dial. I love using mine while editing.

CS4 is supposed to be able to use more cores effectively and run natively in 64 bit mode, so it will be even faster than the CS3 benchmark.

Return to posts index

Seaking
on Nov 20, 2008 at 4:01:29 am

John Q: That system looks pretty good. You might want to consider the Bella EZ keyboard with jog dial. I love using mine while editing.

CS4 is supposed to be able to use more cores effectively and run natively in 64 bit mode, so it will be even faster than the CS3 benchmark.

Hi guys, I'm currently hunting for a new system, which I would need to get built locally for repair reasons. I got looking into the i7 setup. The ADK system seems like quite the rig but like a lot of people I'm still trying to figure out there video card choice with a new rig.. Should I go Quadro or what.. Not sure on this one. My current software use is with Magix Movie Edit Pro 14E.. I was using Premier before jumping onto MEP..

Heck I don't even know what question to ask here about getting a new rig built.. sigh..

Return to posts index

paul joseph
I have a site maybe it can help you
on Nov 30, 2008 at 9:06:36 pm

i read the reviews and its good but it not my 1st time to build my own computer. i have a site that teaches you if you wanna build a PC for video editing maybe it will be helpful to you http://www.digitalvideo101.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]