FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using a DV500plus with an ethernet card?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gareth Randall
Using a DV500plus with an ethernet card?
on Oct 9, 2002 at 1:32:14 pm

I've recently had to install an ethernet card into my previously fully-working Athlon-based DV500plus system.

I can still capture, edit and layback, but I now get MAJOR slowdowns while using Premiere 6.01 - the system can freeze for 10 seconds at a time, usually after doing something in the timeline - and they happen so frequently I've given up using the machine for video editing while I find a solution.

Is there any way for an ethernet card to coexist happily with a DV500? And does the ordering of the peripheral cards make any difference? From the top down, my cards are graphics card (GeForce 4), Fasttrack 100, DV500, ethernet.

My key system details are 1.3GHz Athlon, Epox 8KTA3 mobo, 256Mb RAM, Win2K, Premiere 6.01. As I stated previously, the setup worked perfectly for video editing until I fitted the ethernet card.

Any help appreciated!

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
Re: Using a DV500plus with an ethernet card?
on Oct 9, 2002 at 9:01:42 pm

3 things to try:

<*>make sure you are using the right drivers for the network card.
<*>Try moving the network card to a different slot
<*>Try using a different network card

Gary

The Electronic Mailbox 800 323-2325
We Are The Desk Top Video Editing & Production Experts

All DTV purchases come with our exclusive 30 day customer assurance program and FREE Tech Support

Return to posts index

steve_avs
on Oct 10, 2002 at 3:50:52 am

I noticed similar problems but not as severe with ethernet card causing overall system slowdown. The problems may not be so much with the card as with the background applications that are running as a result of having this connection active. Network connections like to check every few seconds to see if things are still active. This interruption can cause some problems.

I would actually recommend temporarily disable your connection while doing any serious video editing work. Premiere is a fickle animal and doesn't like to have to compete with any other applications for resources. If you need to share files move them over before starting Premiere.

Normally you shouldn't need to be doing anything over a network while you are editing. I'm using XP and its easy to enable and disable my network card quickly without changing the settings.

Regards,

Steve

Return to posts index

Phil Seaman
on Nov 10, 2002 at 4:50:29 pm

I had something similar and ended up having to disable the raid to get it to work consistently

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]