FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video Editing and RAID

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bodan2
Video Editing and RAID
on Oct 4, 2008 at 6:13:38 am

I will probably be getting Adobe CS4 Production Premium when it's released this month, but I am new to video editing. I need to know if anyone can tell me if my current idea for a RAID setup is good.

I have:

Core 2 Duo e6750
Cooler Freezer 7 Pro Heatsink
EVGA 780i Sli
EVGA 8800gts (g92)
320gig Seagate Barracuda
2 gigs OCZ gold(800)
Ultra 750w PSU
Windows XP 32
Thermaltake Armor Case

I was thinking about buying 1 Terabyte WD or Seagate hdd, and 2 500g WD's or Seagate. I would theoretically partition the 1 terabyte drive into 2 sections. One for OS (mabye 200gigs) and another for data (800gigs). I would then use the two 500's in a RAID 0 scratch configuration for my Adobe applications. I was also thinking I should keep an external drive to back up my files from the 1 terabyte drive. If there is a better way to do this, please let me know (keep in mind the EVGA 780i onboard controller limitations: 0/1/0+1/5/JBOD).

I would be importing my video from an HD camera. Since I haven't begun this endeavor yet, I don't know if my current ideas for storage would adequately accomodate HD. Any input from someone who has experience with video editing on a PC would be greatly appreciated. On another note, which company generally makes better HDD's: Western Digital or Seagate?

Also, would I benefit more from buying Vista 64 and utilizing 8gigs of RAM rather than bothering with a RAID setup?

One more thing, is it worth it to use 4 gigs of RAM in XP 32? It is my understanding that I would really only be able to use 3.25 of it and that any application in Windows XP 32 can only use up to 2 gigs. Would I really see a cost-worthy performance gain by buying an extra 2 gigs?

Return to posts index

saveus222
Re: Video Editing and RAID
on Dec 9, 2008 at 9:02:38 am

Dont at all trust the NVRaid. its not at all raid its more like fake raid. you would be better off buying a raid card. raid 0 it really.. nothing else works as good. 2GB memory with high speed and low latency. use the cash you want to put into the 4gb better. lke i said. get 2GB (1 + 1) of memory lkike corsair XMS or better. Smile win xp 32 is good

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]