FORUMS: list search recent posts

Please Evaluate My Choice Of PC

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
wrahn
Please Evaluate My Choice Of PC
on Oct 2, 2008 at 9:59:20 pm

I'm buying the following components from Mwave.com and for $80 they will build it for me. They guarantee it for 30 days and then I have to contact the manufacture it there are problems.

Please look at the custom PC that will be used for Pinnacle Studio Plus 10 and home office stuff and let me know what you think. I'm NOT a gamer.

Asus PQ5 deluxe motherboard
Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16G 1333MHz
Kingston 4 GB Kit KHX8500D2K2/4G ram
Antec P182 tower case
Antec TP3-650W power supply
Extra 120 case fan
(2) - WD320GB WD3200AAks Sata300 16MB 7200rpm hard drives
ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB video card
Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-fi audio sound card
Microsoft XP Pro operating system
Plextor PX-820SA Drive
Asus CPU cooler
Cost = approx. $1,300 plus shipping and building

Thanks for any and all suggestions,

Wes

Return to posts index

Alex Cantu
Re: Please Evaluate My Choice Of PC
on Oct 3, 2008 at 4:31:45 pm

Hi

It's a nice configuracion, just a few comments. U will not get full advantage of the 4GB of RAM on 32-bit WinXP Pro, if you are not plannig to add an editing card this year you could install WinXP x64 or Vista Ultimate x64 instead, otherwise only 2 GB will be recognized.

Also, if u can afford it add an extra 120 GB sata disk for system and use the two other disks in RAID 0 for better performance.

That's it. Feel free to ask.

Cheers!

Return to posts index

wrahn
on Oct 3, 2008 at 9:00:13 pm

Chipocludo,

Thanks for the reply. I had originally included a sys drive and two 320 hard drives in RAID 0 as data drives, but since I'm only using Pinnacle Studio Plus 10 as home video editing, I thought I'd keep it simple with one data drive. I have some basic tech knowledge, but I'm not close to being an expert.

Could you explain the MS XP Pro 32 vs. 64 and the effect on RAM? I thought I could use 4 MB with the system I've picked.

I have the Studio capture card and breakout box, but I'm not knowledgeable about the "editing card" you referred to in your post. What is it, and do I need it?

Thanks again,

Wes

Return to posts index

Alex Cantu
on Oct 6, 2008 at 10:37:27 pm

In simple words, 64 bits edition of windows can handle larger amounts of data and support more system memory.

The 32 bit version handles 3.25 GB of ram (I've only seen this with service pack 3 installed). For home usage this is ok, and there's a chance that you will find no 64bit drivers for the capture card so the 32bit version of win xip pro seems to be the right choice in your case.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]