FORUMS: list search recent posts

Drive Not Recognized??

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ChrisFMA
Drive Not Recognized??
on Aug 5, 2008 at 3:36:39 am

Hi, I have a system that was originally built with two 250 GB HD's configured in Raid format. The OS and media were stored on this config. I realized after the fact that I should have used the Raid array for media and added an additional HD dedicated to OS and program software. I've recently installed a new 250 GB HD but it is not being recognized during the boot or manual set up options. Am I missing something here? I am confident that it is installed correctly PHYSICALLY. Help?

Return to posts index

jeffcss
Re: Drive Not Recognized??
on Aug 5, 2008 at 4:03:48 pm

Have you checked the BIOS settings so that the new boot drive is selected as primary boot device?

Return to posts index

Alex Cantu
on Aug 5, 2008 at 4:45:19 pm

Hi

Probably the disk isn't formatted yet, also as Jeffcss says, the raid is your primary booting device.

This is what u could do:

1- Remove the power cable from the raid disks
2- Make the cd/dvd drive your 1st bootable device from the BIOS
3- Reboot with the new disk and a bootable windows cd
4- Format and install windows on the new disk
5- Reconnect the power cables to the raid disk
6- On the next boot enter the BIOS and set the single disk as 1st boot device
7- Use Partittion Magic or do a quick fortmat to the array to eliminate the older windows installation

Hope this helps. Cheers

Return to posts index

ChrisFMA
formatting disk/installing XP
on Sep 22, 2008 at 2:49:16 am

I've followed your steps and have disabled the raid disks. I've installed XP on the new Hard drive.

Now, before I format the Raid array, can I access files on those drives such as my antivirus installation files?

Also, now that I'm up and running with XP on the new disk, I cannot connect to my home network or the internet. I've enables it in XP but this computer is no longer recognized on the network and I can't seem to connect. ANy ideas why this would be?

Thanks!!!

Return to posts index

ChrisFMA
Raid?
on Sep 22, 2008 at 4:57:11 am

Also, with this new drive to be used for OS, and the other two previously arranged in Raid array, will all disks need to be set up in Raid format? Or can I have the OS disk in non-array and the two others in Raid? If so, how do I set it up as such?

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Alex Cantu
on Sep 22, 2008 at 6:32:06 pm

It could be that the computer is not in the same workgroup. U can check this in My Computer properties under the "computer name" tab. Also check the device manager, maybe a driver for the ethernet controller is missing.

If u used a specific driver (like marvell) to set the raid u might not be able to acces the files until u install them (they should be in the motherbard intallacion cd), but there's a risk u migh lose the data.
Boot with the raid one more time and back up everything u might need on a dc/dvd.

Return to posts index

jeffcss
on Sep 23, 2008 at 2:07:19 am

As already mentioned, check to make sure the LAN controller has the proper driver loaded. Also check your IP address, subnet mask and default gateway. Do you have a DHCP server on the network? (usually the router)

On the Intel motherboard based RAID controllers, you can have a single drive and then have drives in RAID or you can have two different RAID arrays. The BIOS has to be set for RAID and you still need to install the RAID driver on the single drive. Single drives or drives combined but not RAIDed are called JBOD-Just a Bunch of Disks.

Return to posts index

ChrisFMA
Raid Driver
on Sep 24, 2008 at 2:49:55 am

How exactly do I install the Raid driver. I have the driver on a floppy, but where do I do this and how?

Return to posts index

jeffcss
on Sep 24, 2008 at 5:14:48 am

For the O/S drive you usually do this during the XP install. If you have already installed there is a chance you will need to reinstall.

The problem is that unless you have installed another RAID controller, all your HDs are using the same controller. So if you go into the BIOS and set the controller to RAID then XP will refuse to boot even if the O/S is on a non-RAID drive!

To get around this you can try the following which should work BUT I have never done this before, so backup everything and realize you might have to reinstall.

Install the Intel Matrix Storage Manager. Not the floppy version, but the one that installs the Storage Manager program. This should also install the driver.

Reboot and go into the BIOS and select RAID.

Save changes and exit and system will reboot again. During boot you should see the Intel Matrix screen displayed and it should recognize your old RAID drives and show the O/S drive.

IF the system boots up, you can run the Matrix Storage Manager to see what drives are in the system and what is their current state.

Good Luck.

For future reference, if you ever install XP again and there is a chance you might like to later add a RAID array in the system, then set the BIOS to RAID and install the floppy driver during the XP install (Press F6 when prompted) even if the O/S drive will never be in a RAID array.

Return to posts index

ChrisFMA
intel matrix storage
on Sep 26, 2008 at 1:52:27 am

Thanks. I'll do that. But first, where do I obtain the Intel Matrix program you are referring to?

Return to posts index

jeffcss
on Sep 26, 2008 at 3:06:18 am

From the Intel website.

Return to posts index

jeffcss
on Sep 26, 2008 at 4:42:55 am

UPDATE:

I am building a new PC for my wife and daughter and I decided to switch from non-raid to raid. So I followed my advice above and it didn't work. The latest Intel Matrix driver won't install unless the BIOS is set to RAID and then of course you won't be able to boot to do the install. The old catch 22 as they say.

So I thought about it and then I searched Google and found quite a few people interested in doing this and most of the advice they were given is "It can't be done" or they were told to image the HD, create the RAID array and restore the image which I know WON'T work because the driver is part of the image.

Somebody mentioned Windows Emergency Repair and I since the repair process does ask for the floppy with the RAID drivers I decided that would probably work and I just tried it and it did.

So, backup eveything just in case. Download the RAID driver and copy onto floppy. Put the XP CD in the drive and reboot and go into the BIOS. Set the boot order to CD first AND set the controller to RAID.

During boot you will see your regular C drive show up as a non-raid disk. Watch carefully and make sure you boot from the XP CD. Usually "Press any key to boot from CD" shows. XP will start loading. Press F6 for third party driver. At some point the install will stop and let you pick the driver off the floppy.

When prompted press "R" to repair your current XP install. Skip the first repair option that says something about Recovery Console.

It will delete a bunch of system files, copy files from the floppy and the CD back to the hard drive and then reboot. After reboot it will do what looks like a normal install, but at the end I had the XP and all installed programs. I did have to re-activate.

Finally, I installed the Intel Matrix Storage Manager, rebooted, and opened the Storage Manager and clicked on Make Raid 1 array for safety and it did it without losing any data.

Good Luck!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]