FORUMS: list search recent posts

newbie question on motherboards

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James DiSalvatore
newbie question on motherboards
on Jul 12, 2008 at 9:31:09 pm

What is the difference between a server board and a regular motherboard? When building your workstation, is a server board the way to go?
Thanx!

Return to posts index

Alex Cantu
Re: newbie question on motherboards
on Jul 14, 2008 at 4:38:34 pm

Hi

Here are some differences for what i've seen

1) Some server boards don't have PCIe x16 slot because a srver doesn't need someting better than a basic/integrated gaphic card.
2) Usually have one o more PCI-X slots.
3) ECC memory (i don't really know the difference)
4) Usually don't have a sound card integrated.
5) They have more memory slots.
6) Some boards support two or more CPU (most of them uses Xeon processors, but entry level boards uses core2)
7) Many of them are eATX, which don't fit in many regular cases

In most cases a server is not the way to go with video editing. Companies like Asus and Supermicro offer "Workstation motherboards". The main difference is that they have PCI-X slots (and/or 4x and 8x PCIe slots) for specialized cards, such as disk controllers and high end editing hardware. And Tyan has models for Xeon processors.

Hope this helps

Return to posts index

James DiSalvatore
on Jul 14, 2008 at 6:11:05 pm

Chipocludo,
Thanx for your expertise. It was very helpful. I'd be happy to hear more opinions from other experts as well.

Return to posts index

jeffcss
on Aug 1, 2008 at 6:46:43 am

To add to Chipocludo's response:

Servers use more expensive and slower ECC memory which can correct some memory errors in real-time. ECC= Error Correcting Code. This eliminates a possible "Blue Screen of Death".

PCI-X slots have a 64-bit data path with allows high performance RAID controllers and other hardware.

The motherboard might have options to fit in a 1U or 2U rack. Means it is not very tall.

They will come with drivers for Windows server and possibly Unix/Linux but they might not come with XP or Vista drivers.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]