FORUMS: list search recent posts

DIY6 upgrade - what would you do?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
2005seanw
DIY6 upgrade - what would you do?
on Jul 9, 2008 at 9:21:55 pm

I'm looking to build a system based on DIY 6 and I'm thinking of using a Q9550 as the prices are set to drop in a couple of weeks. (And of course I'm waiting anxiously to read about DIY7!)

Any suggestions about improving on DIY6 - and keeping the project on budget! (i.e. around $2000 max) - would be a real help.

I have two quick questions:
Is RAID 0 the way to go with three individual hard-drives and what's a good mid-range graphics card choice?

I was thinking of an ATI 3870 or an Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT.

I've read that the 8800 GT is better at handling OpenGL (which is good news if you are running AfterEffects) and is slightly faster than the ATI card.

Does anyone have any experience of these cards - and how does the picture quality compare between ATI and Nvidia when running Premiere?

I'm primarily running Premiere CS3 and occasionally AfterEffects - and at the moment I'm editing SD but HDV and HD won't be too far away.

My 3Ghz P4 system has been brought back from the dead too many times to mention - so a new edit system is the only solution.

Thanks, Sean

Return to posts index

Alex Cantu
Re: DIY6 upgrade - what would you do?
on Jul 10, 2008 at 10:29:40 pm

Hi

Display cards don't improve the picture quality (they may help on playback, but only when useing power dvd or any other player). The card handles the overlay and it affects the video depending on the settings u use but only for display purposes, your main output is not affected (and can be tricky for color correction unless u have a good lcd monitor).

Your capture device and selection of codecs is what actually affects quality. In fact, 1394 I/O though an standard, is the poorest capture way (in terms of professional/boradcast quality).

Both cards are pretty similar in performance... I wouldn't worry that much unless you plan to add editing hardware, if that's the case u should check compatibility.

Return to posts index

jeffcss
Re: DIY6 upgrade - what would you do?
on Aug 1, 2008 at 6:50:57 am

Don't use RAID 0 for any data you want to keep. If one drive fails you lose ALL the data.

Use RAID 1 or RAID 5 to hold data. Make backups onto something else permanent.

I have had better luck with Open GL on Nvidia cards over ATI when using After Effects.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]