Setting up workflow on external drives

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ed_shaw
Setting up workflow on external drives
on Jun 27, 2008 at 11:23:40 am

Please evaluate this plan before I execute it:

Using Adobe Priemiere:

I have two external drives, both partitioned.
External A will back up data permanently, and not be erased.
External B (partitioned) will receive the original data on
partition one (100G) and handle all the working project data
on partition two (400G)
Once once the project is complete, that information gets
backed up.

I will create a folder called Adobe on drive A and transfer
all data to it, right through to the Auto-Save folder. Then I
will dump the Adobe file off the internal drive. The Adobe
file currently resides in My Documents on the internal drive.

Does this make sense? Or is there another recommended
configuration I shoud know about?

Thanks for any input.

Ed Shaw

Return to posts index

jeffcss
Re: Setting up workflow on external drives
on Jul 1, 2008 at 6:46:40 am

First question: What is the interface for these drives? It looks like you will be working on them and they need to be fast like eSATA.

It looks like External Drive A is your backup drive. What isn't clear to me is what happens when this drive eventually fails? Is there some other backup?

Finally, I wonder why you split the original data and working data on different partitions of the same hard drive. There is no performance increase doing this and if you just made folders it would eliminate a drive letter and give you more flexibility instead of being locked into 100 GB/400 GB partitions.

Just my .02

Return to posts index

ed_shaw
Setting up external drives for workflow
on Jul 1, 2008 at 9:05:08 pm

Jeff, thanks for responding.
The x drives are a pair of Seagate 500's with eSATA link through Express 34 port on Macbook Pro. I starting with a two bay for portablity, and you are right, if the backup A fails, I could have a problem. While I am working on the project, though, Backup B will hold the project files, backed up by A, and when the project is done, I plan to keep the B files and dump the A files.
You know the problem of deleting through the Mac trash bin, it takes a long time and works the little book hard. The initial plan was to put the User file in the small partition of the B. When I want to clean house, I'll just erase the partition, it takes 30 seconds.
Those are the two main reasons for my point of view: speed of working the files and erasing them.
That's why I am writing this, not experienced, want to set the drives up well early, not that it can't be changed after a couple of go rounds.
I scrapped the idea of putting the User file on B but still plan to upload the camcorder work to that drive.
The camera is a Sony PMW EX1 Solid State. The memory cards would normally load through the Express 34, but since that port is occupied by the eSATA card, I upload through a Firewire reader. That's a small price to pay.
When the camera is plugged in (trusting from memory here, please excuse) it reads as an external drive, as you would expect, with an SXS logo on the desktop. Dragging those files to the B drive, everything is contained in a file named BAPV, whatever that means. Sub the BAPV is another folder CLPR, whatever that means, and that's the folder that contains the scenes (as MPEG4 files) each with its own set of associated files. Remeber, this is Adobe Production Premium CS3. Now, the way I have the save set up, those files wind up in the Auto-Save folder, which seems like as good a place as any. Premiere recognizes that file when I hit Save or when Auto Save kicks in, every two minutes or so.
My plan is to make new folder on B named Adobe, then it is something like Adobe/Premeire/CS3/ Auto-Save or whatever the naming convention is I plan to follow it, except not in the master file "User." That folder has a bunch of other stuff in it.
When the SxS icon is on the desktop, I'll drag it to B and run backup
and work the files from there, returning them when finished, including the project files. When I get down to one format, say Blue Ray or DVD, I won't worry about keeping material to cover all the bases, like iPhone or
Flash. Then I'll dump all the project files.
I hope this all sounds pretty much old hat to you, Jeff, but I did want to run this by an experienced digital video producer willing to take a moment and help a newcomer by reviewing his plan. I also consulted with Videoguys by phone this winter but I don't want to keep picking their brains unless I'm ready to buy one of their products or services, which I would do in a heartbeat should the occasion arise.
Looks like I wrote a book. Sorry to run on.
Thanks for your kindness in reviewing this situation and hopefully saving me from some serious oversight early in the game.
Best wishes,
Ed Shaw

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]