FORUMS: list search recent posts

A newby question if ever there was one!

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Spen007
A newby question if ever there was one!
on Jun 25, 2008 at 1:56:53 pm

Hey kids...... I´m an American that lives in a poor part of Brazil. I have shot weddings and other events using a Sony vidcam (analog), captured with an Encore video card and converted with Allok to dvd format. That´s the extent of my experience with dvd editing & authoring. I don´t charge people for my work and have fun doing the shoots. The folks here love what they get because they see themselves on their TVs and its free to boot! Now, I would like to get into NLE and need a software package thats made for the beginner, but cram packed with options like fancy titles, fades, edits, etc., etc.. I would also like same software to allow me to go into an already finished dvd and pick out scenes from the many I´ve already shot and compile a new dvd which I can show at local community gatherings. NO, I don´t want to re-engineer MTV, copyrighted films or similar products as is such the reputation for Brazil and copyright piracy! (Laugh)
I also need suggestions on building an NLE system to handle this software and am seriously looking at the DIY quad-core project. Any input as to this as well would be greatly appreciated.
Finally, I´ll answer this question for you upfront..... Brazil is a dynamite place to live and the women are subserviant. Need I say more?

Return to posts index

jeffcss
Re: A newby question if ever there was one!
on Aug 1, 2008 at 7:08:10 am

Sony Vegas and Adobe Premier are both good programs and they both have USD $100 versions that are just scaled back from the Pro versions. So you can try them. They have extra stuff to spruce up the videos.

Check out http://www.digitaljuice.com that has many premade wedding themed kits for less than $100.

A home-made DVD (not copy protected) is a bunch of files that you can copy to your PC. The .vob files are the movie files that are mpeg-2 encoded. I know for Sony Vegas that you can rename the .vob to .mpg and then edit them. They are highly compressed and you will suffer some quality. Sometimes you get sync problems with the sound but you can work it out. Should work for short clips.

There are other programs for getting movies off DVDs which you can Google to find.

The DIY6 system is a good start, I just don't agree with RAID 0 for storing data I don't want to lose.

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Aug 11, 2008 at 12:59:09 am

Jeff your concerns about raid 0 are valid. That's why we went with a GSpeed eS RAID 5 for DIY6.

I would like to add something. hard drives do eventually fail. but rarely does it come out of the blue. they tend to give you signs that something is going wrong. clicking, slow responces, noise, crashes. all telltale signs.

So what's my point? raid 0 is a good solution for those on a budget that don't want to pay the premium for raid5. for dv footage a single sata drive has more then enough throughput for even the most demanding projects. if you're going to go with HD, we still recommend a raid 0 for higher throughputs.

Gary

Return to posts index

jeffcss
on Aug 11, 2008 at 2:35:27 am

Gary:

As a computer consultant for over 20 years many of my clients do not notice or understand the warnings of hard drive failure. They also do not understand RAID.

Like you I really like the extra speed that RAID 0 gives you but I want your customers to be aware of the possible downside. Not everybody can afford a GSpeed so they need to understand the good and the bad of RAID 0.

It would be really great if your next DIY listed a configuration that used GSpeed and RAID 0 and another that didn't use the GSpeed and didn't use RAID 0. You could then do everybody a service and explain why.

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Aug 11, 2008 at 4:51:34 pm

good idea jeff.

Even better - I think it's time for a DIY Storage FAQ

Gary

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]