FORUMS: list search recent posts

raid 5 setup

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
garnet
raid 5 setup
on Jun 5, 2008 at 6:16:29 am

in regard to a raid5 setup, i notice that Adaptec has a raid controller card that has 8 connectors. would this be any faster than a 4hd setup. there would definitely be a greater volume of space but, is there a rule of diminishing gains in speed ?

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: raid 5 setup
on Jun 6, 2008 at 4:55:42 am

RAID 5 gives you large capacity with some redundancy, in case a single drive fails. However, its performance is lower than a simple striped pair. However, editing either DV or HDV can be satisfied without using RAID. You only need a RAID when you are editing higher bitrate video, like true HD, which is best managed using an external RAID with its own controller processor like the G-Tech products.

You also have to be careful selecting your drive sizes, as Windows XP can only address 2 TB for any drive set. With Vista, you can address larger drive sizes.

Return to posts index

jeffcss
on Jun 6, 2008 at 10:00:18 pm

It depends on the RAID controller. Some RAID controllers can manage 8 drives and be running at top speed. Some can't. Check out Tom's Hardware for some of their reviews.

You could even use two RAID controllers to improve perfomance if you have a lot of drives and money and the right connectors on the motherboard.

At some point you have to decide how much are you willing to spend for small performance improvements.

The reason there is eight ports is because sometimes a large amount of space is required so having more drives is not so much for performance as it is a need for space.

I use RAID because of the redundancy. The ability to recover from a single drive failure without data loss is really great. I will gladly give up some performance for that.

Using a good RAID controller will give your RAID 5 the same or better performance than the built-in RAID 0.

Return to posts index

garnet
on Jun 6, 2008 at 11:45:35 pm

thanx for the help guys

i've decided to go as follows:

ASUS P5K3 Deluxe
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
PNY Quadro FX 1700 512mb
4 gigs DDR3 ram
2x250 hd Raid1 XP-pro
4x500 hd Raid5 storage