FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD camera or not. software advice. football team high school

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
daman_daman
HD camera or not. software advice. football team high school
on Jun 2, 2008 at 5:37:52 pm

I have searched for several days for answers all over and do not have an answer.

We are a high school footbal team and I need advice on cameras and software.
we record each game ourself and i put them on dvd for each coach, also we trade film with other teams. Sat or Sunday i will edit to put only offensive plays together and defensive plays to make it quicker to watch with the team in meetings. I will cut each clip a little short to show only the play.

Camera: We have a couple of handycams that work fine couple years old, but we would like a little better quality.
HD camera or not. We do not have a blueray or hd dvd player for the team, and we make copies after the game for each coach to take home. None have a blueray (except me).
Is it ok to capture on HD camera then put on regular dvd's or will that be pointless.

Software and computer: I have Pinnacle studio 10.8 plus in which i will edit video with, but am curious if i need an upgrade to 11 or a different program. I know if we go HD i will have to upgrade, but will we need to if we plan to put it on regular dvd's non HD format

We are running: XP professional SP2 Pentium 4, 3 ghz, only 512 of ram

I also will take all games and make a highlight film at the end of the year and periodically for colleges on an individual player. I will add music and I only need effects such as spotlight (which i have with pinnacle) and slow motion, maybe zoom. That's it. i really don't care about color correction and really special effects.

Thank you so much in advance. i will try to post a video on youtube that shows what i have done in the past.

Return to posts index

jeffcss
Re: HD camera or not. software advice. football team high school
on Jun 3, 2008 at 8:17:05 am

One thing that makes a big difference is the lighting. When the subject is properly light the end results will look better. In a football game you have very little control over the lighting so I would recommend going with a camera that works well in low light conditions.

Because of all of the movement, newer cameras with better lenses will help. Research the lens quality and low light capability if you are thinking of getting new cameras. Faster shutter speeds will provide better quality in this kind of "action" video.

DVDs are encoded with a variable bit-rate. This means that the compression level can increase or decrease depending on the amount of video that has to fit on the DVD. If you have less than about 2 hours of material per DVD you can increase the bit rate to provide a better picture. Don't know if Pinnacle gives you control over this.

Shooting in HD would give better quality but then it would also generate very LARGE video files which would be hard to edit and then you would have to downgrade to put it on a regualr DVD. You might end up doing a lot of extra work for nothing.

Sorenson Squeeze is a program known for providing high quality video compression. I am pretty sure they have a 30 day trial. You could run some tests to see if is worth the money ($400-$500 USD)

This won't directly give you better quality, but you need more RAM on video editing PC. I would go with at least 2 GB. Increasing the RAM should make the editing go faster which would give you more time to tweak the video. Maybe add filters for contrast/color.

That's all I could think of for now. Maybe somebody else can add to this?

Return to posts index

poppabear
Use of HD camera with DVD output
on Jun 10, 2008 at 5:07:40 pm

I find that I get better quality DVD if I use an HD camera. I shoot in HD, but download in standard definition (SD) for editing and distribution on SD DVD. I use Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 and Encore. I use the two pass with highest quality setting to get better quality DVD's.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]