FORUMS: list search recent posts

DIY5 and a HUGE/ Ciprico U320-R Media Vault

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
theseanman66
DIY5 and a HUGE/ Ciprico U320-R Media Vault
on May 26, 2008 at 1:09:18 am

Hi!

I am new to this site, so far it has proven to be a goldmine of useful information. I am a bit of a technical newbie. I like the DIY5 system, but I was wondering if it would be compatible with my Ciprico U320-R 1.25TB storage system?

If not, which items on the DIY5 list would I need to change to make it compatible with my storage device?

Any advice you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

jeffcss
Re: DIY5 and a HUGE/ Ciprico U320-R Media Vault
on May 30, 2008 at 1:59:55 am

The Ciprico U320-R 1.25TB probably comes with a controller card. We need to know what kind on interface the card has. Common choices would be PCI or PCI-X or PCIe. Next you can lookup the motherboard of the DIY-5 to see if it comes with matching connectors. PCI are pretty common but PCI-X is not.

Return to posts index

theseanman66
on May 30, 2008 at 7:43:08 pm

Thanks, Jeff.

The U320-R didn't come with a controller card. The owners manual only states that "You must have a compatible SCSI Host Adapter installed in your computer to work with the U320-R storage system. Some computers have a native SCSI port, check your computer for availability.
So, am I right in assuming that I must find a SCSI host adapter that is compatible with the cabling provided by Ciprico and make sure that the adapter will work with the ASUS P5W DH Deluxe MoBo that the "DIY5" system calls for?

Thanks again for your help. There is some smoke in the tunnel but I think I'm beginning to see a little light at the end.

-Sean

Return to posts index

jeffcss
on May 30, 2008 at 10:20:54 pm

Yes and Yes.

SCSI comes in many different forms and you need to match carefully. Formats like Ultra, Ultra 2 and Ultra 3 are all choices. Plus the cable might need a terminator. The cable alone can be $70 to $100 USD.

You need to verify, but it looks like that motherboard has (2) PCIe x16 slots and PCIe x1 and regular PCI. The SCSI card needs to be compatible with one of those and if you have two video cards you will NOT have a PCIe x16 available.

Good Luck!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]