FORUMS: list search recent posts

RAID Configuration confusion

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David40
RAID Configuration confusion
on May 18, 2008 at 8:53:55 pm

I could sure use some help figuring out this RAID configuration stuff. I should explain what I want to do and then maybe someone can tell me if it's possible and how to do it. I have 4 hard drives (2 system and 2 video) and I want to set up both pairs as RAID0 striped. (Actually I did this using the JMicron Controller that comes with the ASUS P5K3 motherboard.) This board has 6 SATA ports so I wanted to use port 5 to plug in an external 5th drive that I can use to regularly clone the system disk to. When I turn on the 5th drive and boot the computer, the JMicron Controller shows the 5th drive as a Non-RAID drive but has no options for doing anything with it. If I let the system continue to boot it hangs with a flashing cursor. It's like it can't figure out what to do with the extra drive. Is there a different contoller I should be using or a different approach I should use?
Thanks for any advice.
D40

Return to posts index

jeffcss
Re: RAID Configuration confusion
on May 19, 2008 at 11:34:04 pm

Two things to try:
Verify in the BIOS that the JMicron controller is NOT set to RAID.

Sometimes the controller has a choice called JBOD which stands for "Just a Bunch of Disks". It is not a RAID standard, but it allows you to use one or more drives linked together when you can't or don't want a RAID array.

Return to posts index

David40
on May 19, 2008 at 11:42:00 pm

I can say for sure it's not set to RAID because I tried to set it to RAID and the system would not recognize the DVD burner, so I had to set the Bios back to IDE. I'll try that JOBD option and see if it works.
I'll let you know what happens.
Thanks,
D40

Return to posts index

jeffcss
on May 19, 2008 at 11:52:36 pm

OK, let me know.

That controller might be picky since it is the 2nd controller in the system and it could have limited options. You might have to have the optical drive on the PATA connector, set the JMicron to RAID and then do JBOD to get a single drive working.

Good Luck!

Return to posts index

David40
on May 20, 2008 at 12:00:11 am

I spoke too soon, there is no JBOD option in this bios. The only other choice available is AHCI, and from what I have read it could cause "the blue screen of death" if enabled after an operating system is installed without the necessary drivers. I may try it anyway as it may be worth reinstalling everything if I can do what I want to do.

Return to posts index

David40
on May 20, 2008 at 12:27:28 am

Well, I tried it and no blue screen. Apparently when I installed XP I loaded the necessary drivers as part of the motherboard driver installations when I set up the RAID drivers. I got a very serious warning from XP to not intall the AHCI drivers as they are not Windows certified but I continued anyway. The system rebooted normally and the external SATA drive appeared in the SATA installed drive list durring POST.
After XP finished loading it did not detect the new drive but when I started the DisK Managment tool it imediately recognized a new unformated drive and started the disk setup Wizard. So now it will take a couple of hours to format the drive. After that I'll see if Acronis True Image will clone the Raid0 system drives to a single external Non-Raid SATA drive. If it works I'm in business!

Return to posts index

jeffcss
on May 20, 2008 at 12:34:19 am

I was writing this as you posted.

I downloaded the ASUS manual for the P5K3 motherboard. You have to set the JMicron to RAID in the BIOS, then CTRL+J during power on to get into the controller BIOS setup. Look for JBOD there.

After the system boots, you will need the JMICRON driver so your O/S can see the drives.

According to the manual you should have JBOD as a choice. Of course ASUS has made mistakes before.

Check this out:

Return to posts index

David40
on May 20, 2008 at 12:49:07 am

I found the manual to be totally confusing. It talks about at least two diifferent Raid controllers and the Pictures of the Bios in the book do not match what's on the screen. The RAID Bios I get into uses a CTRL+I during boot . Could be there is more than one way to skin this cat. The problem is discovering if one method works better than another. I'll keep you post as to how this method goes.

Return to posts index

jeffcss
on May 20, 2008 at 1:14:09 am

Well you are right. There are two different RAID controllers. One is the Intel Matrix Storage Manager and the other is the JMicron.

They both have their own BIOS settings, their own hot key (ctrl+I) for Intel and (ctrl+j) for the JMicron AND their own drivers.

The 6 SATA connectors are controlled by the Intel hardware/software and the external are controlled by JMicron. Set that to RAID and you need the special "floppy" driver to even install XP. Once XP is installed then it doesn't matter how you configure the JMicron as long as you don't try booting from it. You may or may not need drivers to "see" what's connected.

Return to posts index

David40
on May 20, 2008 at 1:44:01 am

What's really strange is that I have done nothing with the Intel Controller. I never entered that Bios and I have my internal RAID0 and external SATA drive all installed using only the JMicron Controller. All I know is that it appears to be working and I just successfully cloned the RAID0 striped drives to a single external SATA Non-Raid drive. So now if I have a failure of the striped drives all I need to do is replace the bad drive(s),boot from the Acronis Rescue disc, and reverse clone from the external drive to the new RAID0 drives and I'm back up and running like nothing ever happened.
After all this trouble I'm debating whether it would have been easier to just buy the extra hard drives with removeable bays, and set up a RAID5 where the drives are striped and mirrored. That would make any cloning or backing up obsolite.

Return to posts index

jeffcss
on May 20, 2008 at 2:21:42 am

That is strange.

Couple of questions:
Did you load the Intel Matrix Storage Manager Software? I think you need to verify that you really have a RAID 0 on the Intel SATAs.

Did you use the driver on the floppy to install XP. The "Press F6" to install additional driver?

Return to posts index

David40
on May 20, 2008 at 2:29:54 am

I did not know which one to use so I made a floppy as per the instructions on the ASUS CD for each of the controllers. When I did the F6 thing to install the drivers it rejected the floppy for the Intel drivers and would not continue, so I tried the other floppy for the JMicron and they loaded.
How do I verify what I actually have?

Another thing I noticed is that the External SATA ports on the back are labeled SATA Ports 0 and 1 and not 5 and 6 as I would expect. I tried to use those ports for my external drive and it froze my machine so I just ran an SATA cable off the #5 port of the six located on top of the motherboard out a hole in the case to the external drive I'm using.

Return to posts index

jeffcss
on May 20, 2008 at 2:38:42 am

You need to install the Intel Matrix Storage Manager software. This is different than the driver. It will install a program which will display your current configuration on the Intel SATA ports and let you know if you are RAID 0/RAID1 etc.

It looks to me like maybe you have the JMicron RAID working but not the Intel.

Return to posts index

David40
on May 20, 2008 at 2:55:16 am

I found the Intel Matrix Storage Manager software in my Start Menu and I ran it. It says all volumes are running nomally. The thing shows the Intel Controller and a RAID0 on both the system disk and video disk on ports 0 through 3, and also shows the NON-RAID disk on port 5 with nothing on Port 4. It somehow all got installed in the process of my installing all the stuff on the ASUS disk, but for the life of me I don't remember any of the Intel stuff loading.
I thought using RAID0 on the system disk would speed performance but I'm not so sure it will really improve speed. Is striping the system disk really worth doing? What do you think about changing the system disk to RAID1 and then using the external disk for video back-up only? This would eliminate the need to back-up the system disk. What do you think?

Return to posts index

jeffcss
on May 20, 2008 at 4:01:07 am

OK, that is good!

The RAID 0 will increase read/write performance, but it also increases chances of a disk failure. If either disk fails then you lose ALL the data. Your idea of backup up is great but the recovery procedure won't go as smooth as you think. The RAID controller puts an unique serial # on each drive and if one drive fails and you put in another you will have to recreate the RAID 0 BEFORE restoring. Not a big deal, just an extra step.

Personally I have decided to forgo the performance and use a mirror (RAID 1) like you are thinking. If one drive fails then all you do is remove, install new and click a few times on the storage manager and you are ready. Not to mention that you can KEEP RUNNING while you are doing all of this.

I have a large Cooler Master "Stacker" case and I have 6 removable hard drive bays in the front. Two are for the O/S in a mirror and 4 are for the data in a RAID 5. I image my O/S using Acronis (same software as you) about once a month. I backup my data once a week or more depending on what I am doing.

However, since I went to RAID 5 I have not lost ANY data to a disk failure! It has been over 4 years now. I really like the RAID 5 and I have recently installed a high performance Adaptec 5405 RAID controller which really makes my RAID 5 fast!

So I would agree with you to go RAID 5 for your data. Your O/S can be a single drive or a mirror.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]